General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tempermental choke

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 01:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tempermental choke

Posting this in General tech as it will probably apply to all carbureted bikes.

I picked up a 96 CBR600 F3 this spring after the previous owner left it in storage for 3 years without winterizing it at all. It only has 9k miles on it (NINE KAY!), and the PO totally BABIED the bike. He bought it new, and had a jet kit and Yoshi RS-3 exhaust put on. He obviously never rode it much, and just liked taking it out once in a while to wash and wax it. He got bored with it, and left it in storage to die. It didn't start, and I ended up having to replace the battery, filters, and clean the carbs. Standard fare.

So I got it all together, and got it running, but the choke wouldn't do anything until it was 90% open, at which point it kills the bike. "Fake choking" by just manually increasing the throttle works fine, and once warmed up, the bike runs GREAT.

I am positive the starter lever, its associated torsion coil spring, and the choke cable itself are all physically operating properly, as I verified them as part of the reassembly.

On RARE occasion, if I move the choke lever slowly enough, I can get it all the way open without the bike dying, but it only gets up to about 2750. If I cold start the bike with no choke, it puts around 750, but doesn't really die. Letting it sit like that long enough allows it to kick in. Opening the throttle causes things to work a lot faster.

Ideas? Ready. . . .go!

Old 06-27-2009, 02:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This comes up here & in the F3 section a bit, all of them have different starting procedures, but if it helps, On my F3: I don't turn on the fuel - Full choke - I don't touch the throttle at all - hit the starter button - as she comes to life (usually with 1 dab of the starter) I turn on the juice. Ok as of late because of my crook back & not being able to sit on the bike, let alone ride. I had to let her sit for 2 weeks & in that case, same procedure as above, but I also pull in the clutch.
In any case, finding how to get your bike up & running 1st time is all trial & error.
Nice find by the way

Old 06-27-2009, 03:18 PM

Yeah, but the choke should do SOMETHING.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Yeah, but the choke should do SOMETHING.
You mentioned that it did work till 90% open & then killed the motor, so it would have to be doing something. The choke delivers a richer mixture, sometimes this can be negated by an after market air filter (causing a richer mix) & (as on some of my other bikes) the carbies need a tune & running a little rich.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:42 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking last night. Between the air filter and the exhaust, this bike throws way more air through the engine than it was made to. Maybe one of the downsides is it just renders your choke useless.

And I haven't tuned anything since I got it back together and running, as I was ecited to just ride the stupid thing. Guess it's about time.