F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Swing arm extensions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Swing arm extensions

Not try to stir things up but it has been proven in test after test that extending your swingarms does not kill the handling of a bike. Magazines that run the test have proven that even a stretched bike (moderate stretch) and even one with a 240 tire can keep up with a stock bike in lap times with the same riders (profesional). Personally I would love to find some extensions for my swingarms. I am not silly enough to drag my 600 with the liter bikes but I am not into track days either. I want to customise my bike for the street. I want it to look crazy not perform that way. I love the f4i's looks and want to make it turn heads like it should.

I respect all the other riders out there, everyone has their own style.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: LuckyHooligan

Magazines that run the test have proven that even a stretched bike (moderate stretch) and even one with a 240 tire can keep up with a stock bike in lap times with the same riders (profesional).
Uh huh...

Could you provide some examples please?...

Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: LuckyHooligan

Not try to stir things up but it has been proven in test after test that extending your swingarms does not kill the handling of a bike. Magazines that run the test have proven that even a stretched bike (moderate stretch) and even one with a 240 tire can keep up with a stock bike in lap times with the same riders (profesional). Personally I would love to find some extensions for my swingarms. I am not silly enough to drag my 600 with the liter bikes but I am not into track days either. I want to customise my bike for the street. I want it to look crazy not perform that way. I love the f4i's looks and want to make it turn heads like it should.

I respect all the other riders out there, everyone has their own style.
I call BS, post up a link to these tests. I can change sprockets to a different combo that moves the rear wheel a little farther back in the adjustment range and feela decentchange in turn-in and thats only moving it a half inch or so. An inch or two may not make a massive difference but anything more than that dramatically alter the bikes handling. There was a guy that came to a trackday last year with a bike that had an extended swingarm. After riding two sessions he found somebody with a stock swingarm and skipped a session to mount it with the help of serveral other riders.

Even if said tests are real, pro riders are pro riders because they can compensate for a sh!tty handling bike a hell of a lot better than any of us can

Old 10-24-2007, 11:37 PM

I went -1 in the front and +2 in the rear. No need to extend the swing arm. Shift your weight forward when you accelerate hard and it won't come up.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 AM

+1
I did the -1 +2 conversion and my front end only comes up when I want it to.......But now when I want to go on one it is MUCH MUCH easier!!

Old 10-25-2007, 12:13 AM

I haveused white buffalo racing alot for chains and sprocets. They will be able to set you up. Call them or order the chain long and break it to what you need. Simple stuff.
don't bother with the swing arm untill you try the gearing first. If you're still bent on it then think about it.
I would think you will need to weld in a section to the swingarm. I doubt you are going to find a aftermarket part seeing there is no demand for it on a F4i. I would buy a extra off Ebay to extend so you still have the stock if for no other reason thatyou have a hard time finding someone that whats it after that.
If you tried selling me a extended 600 I would have a good idea you knew how to do only one thing with it and that was to bet it up.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:15 AM

Vortex sprockets have always been good to me as have RK chains as far as that goes. I agree that it would be advisable to do the chain/sprocket first and see how that works for you. If your just absolutely serioius about drag racing (again, I think an F4i is horrible drag bike unless you've got $10k to put into it but whatever) then look into the swingarm. Its your bike so obviously my opinions aren't important.
For the record, I understand that extended swingarms are very useful for drag racers, hell my SV will try to loop even geared for road atlanta ifI go crazy on the startsand its only about 80hp and heavier than you would think.I just posted in this thread because imo its a mod that limits other areas of your bikes performance that I think should be mentioned.