F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem

Hello.
I have an Honda cbr 600 F4i, 2001 mod.
Yesterday i was unfortunate to knocked over the bike when the bike was running and in first gear. I was quick to shut the bike down with the run/stop button. Got the bike up again, luckily no scratches or borken fairing. So the problem, i do turn the ignition on, and the red button to "on" position and the fuel pump is pumping, but i can't start the bike in any gear, only in neutral, and yes i have the side support up. Anyone that have any idea why i can't start it in any gear? It was not an problem before.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:14 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

First off the bike should have shut off by itself when laying sideways. If it didn't then the tip over sensor is not working properly and could be keeping the bike from starting. If thats not it I'd guess the sidestand switch is bad and not telling the bike is the stand is up. Does the engine turn off when you put the bike into gear?

Old 11-14-2015, 01:46 AM

No it did not shut off by itself, but when it fell over i did hold in the clutch, and the bike was in first gear, so i donīt know if it should shut off than? The side stand switch is working properly. I can start the bike in neutral with the side stand down and up, but when i change from neutral to first or second gear with the bike stand down the engine shut down. And than i have to set it in neutral to start it again. Canīt start the bike with the side stand up and in any gear, only in neutral.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:30 PM

I'm pretty sure that is a safety feature. I have an 02 600 f4i. My neutral light only comes on when I start riding at the beginning of the day. Then every time I put it in neutral the light doesn't come on. If the neutral light isn't on, then the bike won't start, with or without the kickstand down. So I think I have a faulty neutral recognizer (name?). However, in your case, I don't think the bikes are "allowed" to start while in gear. However, if you have the clutch in, kickstand up, it should start in gear. Try that. If that doesn't work, you might just need to start it in neutral, which doesn't seem to be a big problem to me.