problem with starting bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with starting bike

I just put some new aftermarket parts on my 3 month old "04" and now it wont start. I think it might be a bad fuel pump but it only has 600 miles on it. All the lights and gadges work.

Any info would help.

Old 07-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Default RE: problem with starting bike

i also read the forum of the other problems that others were having but i think it is hard to beleive that my plugs are going bad already. its only 3-4 months old

Old 07-05-2005, 12:45 AM

I just washed my bike today by hand with garden hose and stuff. I went to start it up to let all the water on the rad. and engine to dry off so i can get rid of all the condensation and it wouldnt start. I looked for obvious stuff but nothin. I paid close attention to everything and the head lights arent workin and the fi light doesnt come on along with no fuel pump opperation. I checked all the fuses and everything is good. Has anyone see this problem. Right now i wish i still had my 03 but some dumb 18 year old girl had to rear end me with an f 150. The one i got now is an 04 and has like 7000 miles on it and is almost a year old from date of purchase. Please if anyone can help would save me lots of time and trouble cause the dealership around here is a crook tryin to make money on all the army people around here and the next dealership is like 70 miles away. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2005, 12:48 AM

oh yeah if you guys now anything that might help email me at twolf_148@yahoo.com thanks

Old 07-05-2005, 02:30 AM

ORIGINAL: twolf_148

I just washed my bike today by hand with garden hose and stuff. I went to start it up to let all the water on the rad. and engine to dry off so i can get rid of all the condensation and it wouldnt start. I looked for obvious stuff but nothin. I paid close attention to everything and the head lights arent workin and the fi light doesnt come on along with no fuel pump opperation. I checked all the fuses and everything is good. Has anyone see this problem. Right now i wish i still had my 03 but some dumb 18 year old girl had to rear end me with an f 150. The one i got now is an 04 and has like 7000 miles on it and is almost a year old from date of purchase. Please if anyone can help would save me lots of time and trouble cause the dealership around here is a crook tryin to make money on all the army people around here and the next dealership is like 70 miles away. Thanks.
Are you getting any power out of the battery at all?

Old 07-05-2005, 02:31 AM

ORIGINAL: hot_rocket_rider

I just put some new aftermarket parts on my 3 month old "04" and now it wont start. I think it might be a bad fuel pump but it only has 600 miles on it. All the lights and gadges work.

Any info would help.
What aftermarket parts did you put on exactly?

Old 07-05-2005, 02:51 AM

i put on a a yosh pipe new front and rear turn signals (and some other stuff that didnt affect the power or anything to stop the bike; just little stuff)

Old 07-05-2005, 03:00 AM

ORIGINAL: hot_rocket_rider

i put on a a yosh pipe new front and rear turn signals (and some other stuff that didnt affect the power or anything to stop the bike; just little stuff)
Ok. Did you check all the fuses and such? Did you plug everything back in? Will the bike even crank at all? Or just nothing when you try and start it?

Old 07-05-2005, 03:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your 04 is like my 05 then there are two or three plugs on the left side that you can access after taking off the left fairing. I had to unplug them in order to pull the front fairing out far enough to access the bolts that retain the front turn signals. After installing my lights I tried to test they would not light because of the unplugged wiring harness, no power. Stupid me right? Actually I realized immediately what the problem was and plugged everything back in and then tested the signals and all was good. When I was done with the job I notice that my trip odometer, not the main odometer, and my clock zeroed out.

My point here is to check these connectors since they obviously bring all the power from the battery to the front of the bike like the instrument display and starter switch. Make sure you plugged them in all the way. I'm not sure if your bike started at all after your upgrades or not. Even if it worked just after the upgrade maybe one of the plugs vibrated loose. It is to coincidental that after the upgrades your bike started having problems.

As a technique I always try to test any upgrade I install as soon as I can especially prior to reinstalling all the plastic just in case have similar problems.

Old 07-05-2005, 11:51 AM

Everything powers up but it just wont kick over

Quick Reply: problem with starting bike