New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Newbie starting problem

Old 10-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie starting problem

Hi All,

New to the forum but not to the scene. This is my fourth sportbike. I have a 03 R6 an 05 R1 and sold a ZX7. Now I have an F4i or as I like to call it a headache.

Need a little help
Here goes....Hopin' ya can help a F4i newbie out.
(Starting and running problems...) This started as an intermitant problem when the bike all of the sudden wouldn't start back up. I would ride and everything would be fine then on the third or fourth start...presto no start-o. Like the battery was dead...click click click or sometimes no click at all. I know Iknow I have read up and this is a common problem with the F4i.
So far: New voltage reg./rect.
New Battery
SAME PROBLEM...

Now, the problem isn't fixed and in fact has progressed. As the problem is about to occur, or after a bump start as needed after this problem has occured, the bike will rough idle and surge +or - 1.5k...

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. ??????????????????[&:]

Here's a Little tech. info for you guys: Bike=2001 CBR600F4i w/2091 track miles (yes 2 thousand)

The battery holds a charge after a 3+ day sit in the garage....so no constant seems to be draining it.
Battery off voltage is 12.5v.d.c.
Battery on voltage is 12.9v.d.c. - 14.5v.d.c.
Stator voltage @ idle is 8.4v.a.c. per leg
And so it appears that the charging system is functioning correctly.

Im thinking short...But I really really can't even begin to fathom going wire by wire thru the harness to find that that wasn't the problem either.

One more lil tid bit not that it should matter...I converted this bike from Track to Street with new and aftermarket parts. I wire stuff for a living so I am sure it's not a wire I connected that is the short. However, it could be in the headlight assembly or the left clipon control. Never had this problem at the track so it's either a coincedence (which apparently lot's of you encountered) or it is something I did while converting the bike to street.

NE1 ever have a problem with a starter reley? I think that may be the short. That is why it only happens once and a while and why everything else on the bike seems to function correctly???????? but who knows?

AHHHHH damn' F4i ..... [sm=bustedsign.gif]

Anything I am overlooking?
Any help or guidence would be greatly appreciated.

OH! and Nice to be a part of the Forum!

Old 10-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Default RE: Newbie starting problem

Don't know the F4i, but this might be better in the Tech area. I will forward this to my friend at Honda in Metuchen and see what he says. Where in Jersey are you?

BTW - Hello & Welcome!!!!!

Old 10-06-2005, 04:56 PM

cant help you but how much you want for your R6? [:-] Hey im in NJ also. Jackson, NJ out here by Six Flags.

Old 10-09-2005, 01:06 AM

Still workin on this one.

Made a couple of advancements. Pulled the entire bike apart to check the wiring for possible shorts. NONE.
However, after this huge project I did again what I should have done again before pullingthe whole bike apart and checked the charging system. Sure enough I only had 11.8v.d.c. @ the battery terminals.
Nearest I can tell now I have a bad coil. At the stator leads I get 8.4 volts at Idle on two of the three wires.

Here's the questions I am hoping you guys can help with.
1) I am supposed to have a.c. voltage at all three leads coming off the stator correct?
2) What is the voltage I should see at idle? (Maybe you guys could do a quick test for me)
3) Anyone ever change a coil before? If so was it really a pain in the a$$?

Thanks guys...let me know if ya can help with the questions.

Oh yeah and again this machine is a 2001 600 F4i

Old 10-09-2005, 02:15 PM

I haven't heard from my friend, but as soon as I do....I'll post up.