CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

My starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My starting problem

Here's my starting problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXsp0Y_lpI4

Does this seem to be consistent with the alt damper issue? It doesn't quite sound the same. I've got a good used starter clutch on order just in case.

Can the starter be tested at an auto parts store?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default imo

Yep sounds like the "classic" signs of bad starter clutch alternator damper unit

Compare against this

http://www.stu.co.nz/cbr1000fix/

Does it "bump" start easily ?

Last edited by Sprock; 06-01-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:48 PM

bump start? if you mean push start, then no.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:40 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Then it's not the starter damper. May be the starter clutch.
Check your choke cable - make sure it's working correctly - only the top 20% of the choke actually changes the choking.
With those sounds I would expect the bike to start, IF the battery is up to full charge........
Are you getting enough spark ?
What about your fuel pump................?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
Yep sounds like the "classic" signs of bad starter clutch alternator damper unit
I have not had that problem but it sounds the same as what has been posted before. It seems that all the power is going into cranking and it is not cranking fast enough to start.

On the other hand, if it will not bump (push) start, I would check under the tank to see if the enrichners are in the full up position when the **** is turned. The enrichment slide needs to be slid right. Try to help it with a screwdriver while twisting the ****. These bikes will not start if they are not enriched. Due to the EPA, when these bikes were build they were made to run lean. They will not start without enrichment.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:02 AM

I pulled the carbs and they desperately needed to be cleaned out. I think that may be why it didn't start with a bump start. I'm also going to change the spark plugs. I've got a starter clutch on the way so if I can at least get it to start with a bump start then I'll have gotten somewhere with it.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not had that problem but it sounds the same as what has been posted before. It seems that all the power is going into cranking and it is not cranking fast enough to start.
Yeah, that's what's strange to me, too. It doesn't sound like a slip at all. It's almost like it's just not getting enough power. (just like when you're battery is about beat)

So what are you jumping it off of, cybertrip? Is it a known good battery? How do your jumper cables look? Battery terminals good? Just a few thoughts.
Also, throttle won't do anything on cold startup other than keep the bike from starting. It allows too much air in, and basically just negates the choke and then some. Full choke/no throttle to start 'em when they're cold.
Cleaning carbs is a probably a good idea, tho.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Yeah, that's what's strange to me, too. It doesn't sound like a slip at all. It's almost like it's just not getting enough power. (just like when you're battery is about beat)

So what are you jumping it off of, cybertrip? Is it a known good battery? How do your jumper cables look? Battery terminals good? Just a few thoughts.
Also, throttle won't do anything on cold startup other than keep the bike from starting. It allows too much air in, and basically just negates the choke and then some. Full choke/no throttle to start 'em when they're cold.
Cleaning carbs is a probably a good idea, tho.
Bike has a brand new battery, ran it down trying to start it. I'm jumping it off my Nissan Titan which has a 90amp alternator, jumper cables are 6 gauge and brand new, terminals are all clean.

I'm almost wondering if there is a problem with the starter motor.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotcha. I figured I'd ask, tho..
It could be a starter motor.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:32 PM

Tried her again this evening and there is definitely fuel going in to the cylinders. One of the cylinders keeps lighting off. It's just not rotating fast enough to start it completely. I'm a newb at push starting so I can get it to start for just a moment before it dies.

The guy I purchased it from used a halogen light as a block heater and said that usually helped with getting her started. So, it seems that the cylinders have to be warm to start, maybe thinning the oil viscosity which reduces friction allowing the cylinders to move easier? This makes it sound like the starter is the problem. We'll see what happens when I replace the starter clutch. I wish I had a way to test the starter itself to verify if it is the problem. Will these work on car starter testers?

Quick Reply: My starting problem