F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

ST1300-type touring bars on 06 F4i

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST1300-type touring bars on 06 F4i

i'm looking to turn my 06 F4i into an ST1300 type sport touring bike. i only found one site that had a top tree conversion kit that you could mount standard motorcycle bars on and bring them toward you another 4 inches or so, but it doesn't look all that great. what i would really like to do is get the bars that are actually from the ST1300 and put them on instead. it at least appears like they could fit, but i don't know if the holes are the same size to slide them on the forks, or how wide apart they are. would anyone happen to know if this is a realistic idea?? if the holes are bigger, would you have any safe rig ideas? (if there is such a thing) kinda crazy I know, but i don't have 20K laying around, i don't race anymore, and i have a perfectly good F4i sitting here. also need ideas to put on a full luggage kit. not crazy about those hang over bags, and would like the rear luggage box/backrest setup like on the ST1300 if anyway possible. even if i have to totally reconvert the rear end. any ideas are greatly appreciated, thank you..

Old 06-30-2012, 05:51 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The trick is assuring clearance of the fairing when you move the bars up.
Moving them back will help, but if you move them too far you will need to
replace the hydralic lines and the control cables with longer ones.

I'm looking to do a similar conversion on my F3, unfortunately, I have been unable
to find a definitive site that can give solid answers on fit/clearance issues.
There are several after-market conversion kits available, by several manufacturers.

The least expensive I've found is the DanMoto ($99-$120). However it utilizes a solid bar.
So no bar-end type additions are possible, without further custom machining.
i.e. replaceable bar-weights or throttle-stops. They DO have a range of motion,
so you can dial in the lift/setback to utilize your present cabling and adjust for clearance.

The option I'm budgeting for is the Apex bar kits ($200-ish). Same ability to adjust
set-back and height, but with a hollow bar able to accomodate replaceable bar-weights or cruise-control bar-ends.

After that you get into the Heli-bars and various others that start to hit the $300+
mark, that are custom-designed for a particular make/model bike. High quality machining, etc. but pricey.

One other option is to checkout the wrecker yard and compare different clip-ons/mounts that they
have in stock, to see if you can find ones that will work. No instant gratification here most likely,
but it can be inexpensive and persistence can pay off.

As far as the luggage scene, check out Givi, Tour-Master, Coo case, etc.
There are lots of hip options here. You might consider a rear-trunk as a good option
for a passenger back-rest type scenerio. I have also seen a boffo mod, in which the guy bought
a spare seat and added a aluminum bracket to the rear to mount a padded cusion to.
He just swapped the seat, for going from 1-up>2-up riding with his squeeze.

Hope this gives you a few ideas, Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 06-30-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sry for the delay.. wow great info, thx! i looked up all of those different bars. didn't know there was so many options. I may also go w/ some i found at StreetFighter Inc.-StreetFighter and Sportbike accessories. One stop shopping for StreetFighters & Naked Motorcycles. they're another "standard bar" mount but claim to give a 3 inch lift up, and 5 inches toward you! this seems to be about what i'm looking for. gonna need to swap out some lines w/ that but I guess their kit comes w/ it. not sure about the price yet, still waiting on an email back.. really appreciate all the great ideas. this pointed me in the right direction.. thx again..

Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe Thomaselli bars - adjustable for rake and angle. Find them on some XJ 900Yamahas
The Hurricane guys play around with different bars and boxes - why not come down and ask them ? I run a set of Nonfango boxes on my 1000F, but one of our guys (Sprock) made up a bracket from bar stock for a back box which would work well for your application and double the box as a backrest.
Good luck