F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Speedometer problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer problems

So I've been searching this forum and it seems that no one has the problem I have on my speedometer. Well anyways, my problem on my speedometer is that the RPM meter wont move and the time is never stored even after setting it. Everything else works fine. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by highercal
So I've been searching this forum and it seems that no one has the problem I have on my speedometer. Well anyways, my problem on my speedometer is that the RPM meter wont move and the time is never stored even after setting it. Everything else works fine. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?
Have you taken your gauge apart before it happened or dropped your bike?
If so maybe you have a loose connection in your gauge or a loose wire in a connector for your gauge.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
Have you taken your gauge apart before it happened or dropped your bike?
If so maybe you have a loose connection in your gauge or a loose wire in a connector for your gauge.
It was dropped before but the gauges and all worked fine up until last night. I noticed it when starting her up after a week of sitting in my garage.

Ill re-check the the connection for it.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM

It was dropped before but the gauges and all worked fine up until last night. I noticed it when starting her up after a week of sitting in my garage.

Ill re-check the the connection for it.

so I checked all the connections and fuses and everything seems fine. I fixed my clock issue but the RPM wont move at all. My MPH displays just fine the only that not workin is the RPM. Any ideas?

Old 03-01-2011, 12:32 PM

did you check the internal connections?? if you pull the gauges off the bike...including the wire harness, there are two internal connections hidden behind rubber grommet. sounds like one came undone.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Xander F4i
did you check the internal connections?? if you pull the gauges off the bike...including the wire harness, there are two internal connections hidden behind rubber grommet. sounds like one came undone.
The internal connection that are covered with a plastic covering with 2 screws? How do I detach those wires? I'm thinking one probably corroded or something.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The internal connection that are covered with a plastic covering with 2 screws? How do I detach those wires? I'm thinking one probably corroded or something.
You have to take all the little screws out and take the black plastic cover off exposing the circuit board.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
You have to take all the little screws out and take the black plastic cover off exposing the circuit board.

Wires look good, I noticed that when I put the key in and put it on, the RPM meter goes up and down. Could it be my speed sensor going bad?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 PM

yes im having the same issue , i hope we find the correct answer , also i know on the f3's when you change the gearing it throws the speedometer off is it also like that on the f4i?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 99f4i
yes im having the same issue , i hope we find the correct answer , also i know on the f3's when you change the gearing it throws the speedometer off is it also like that on the f4i?
Me too! What's worst is that it was working just fine the night before and all of sudden it went dead. It no biggy but I would like it back!

If anyone has a fix or help on this please contribute!!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Speedometer problems