F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Some feedback needed on braking??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Some feedback needed on braking??

Gotcha. Yes, i did grabit hard...just thinking if it were a real bad situation i'd want to know what i and the bike was capable of.
Lets put it this way, my butt hurt from doing both endo's...that was from butt hitting the seat, so...and that is at 22mph. I would think that if something goes down i see it happening at higher speeds, even if it is 40-60mph.
Having said that, i could gradually grip the brake in a fast manner, if that was possible.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: HockeyFan

Yes, i did grabit hard...

...Having said that, i could gradually grip the brake in a fast manner, if that was possible.
You have it with your last statement. You should never just grab or twist or input any control into the bike in an uncontrolled manner. It should always be progressive, smooth and controlled. Slowly and firmly squeese the brake until you feel it engage and feel the feedback it gives you, then start to tighten up your hand.

Another thing about braking, I know allot of people dont use the rear, but in the MSF class they taught you to lock up your rear to get the feel of it. I think it is important to brake to that point. Part of riding is pushing yourself to find the bikes limits and what it likes and doesnt. That way you know what is too much and in an emergency situation you need to be able to brake at maximum potential.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:16 AM

smooth even controlled braking will not result in any lift of the rear tire....

Old 03-16-2008, 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Jump1979man

I understand. What about in emergency situations?

Old 03-16-2008, 11:14 AM

even in emergency situations you can still be smooth with braking....smooth braking can still be fast and quick...

I have needed to mash on the brakes a few times and I have never raised the rear tire, although I have left a nice skid mark and fish tailed the rear a bit...its really hard to put into words typed on how to do it without sending the wrong impression as its hard to understand how you can be smooth and controlled yet still be fast and responsive...

Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 AM

I would also say do not lean forward when braking...I think a lot of people naturally do this due to inertia and other factors but stay back and it will help with weight distribution.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 AM

even in emergency situations you can still be smooth with braking....smooth braking can still be fast and quick...

I have needed to mash on the brakes a few times and I have never raised the rear tire, although I have left a nice skid mark and fish tailed the rear a bit...its really hard to put into words typed on how to do it without sending the wrong impression as its hard to understand how you can be smooth and controlled yet still be fast and responsive...
Ok. Fair enough.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:42 PM

I would also say do not lean forward when braking...I think a lot of people naturally do this due to inertia and other factors but stay back and it will help with weight distribution.
I didn't see this. This may be something I can monitor. Good little tip.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a great article:
http://www.msgroup.org/tip.aspx?num=030
Another thing to remember when grabbing the front break is to let the chassis set before you squeeze hard. This will prevent wheel lock/jerky shock bounce. i.e. when you hit the brakes wait a fraction of a second to let the shocks compress and then increase pressure.

Dont let the wheel get too high if it does come up... braking ability decreases as angle of the bike increases. Best is to lower center of gravity and move it back by body positioning, then brake. Just the opposite of preventing wheelies in hard acceleration

Old 03-16-2008, 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: ampfp

Here's a great article:
http://www.msgroup.org/tip.aspx?num=030
Another thing to remember when grabbing the front break is to let the chassis set before you squeeze hard. This will prevent wheel lock/jerky shock bounce. i.e. when you hit the brakes wait a fraction of a second to let the shocks compress and then increase pressure.

Dont let the wheel get too high if it does come up... braking ability decreases as angle of the bike increases. Best is to lower center of gravity and move it back by body positioning, then brake. Just the opposite of preventing wheelies in hard acceleration
That is definitely some advanced concepts. I'll read the article so I can wrap my head around that.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Some feedback needed on braking??