F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Riding in the wind?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:01 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Riding in the wind?

ORIGINAL: alekinci

all i can say is that this move will slow you down and in a windy condition you actually need more momentum to power through. I think that Victor is doing the right thing by leaning into the wind's direction and throttling up.

From my experience the opposite is true. while throttling up may get you through it faster, slowing down will get you through with more CONTROL (which is what you wanted in the first place). Of course there is a reverse effect if you slow down too much ...

Slow down. At lower speeds crosswinds have less effect. What is downright dangerous at 70mph may prove to be controllable, though exciting, at 50.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got caught out in a real bad situation some days back. It was at night, on a bridge, gusty winds due to front of a thunderstorm and rain. The bike was sliding all over the place due to wind gust and wet slippery road.Was struggling to maintain 25mph. My buddy on an R1 ahead of me went thru the same. Was scared totally ****less. All tricks in the book failed... counter steering, lean to the wind, knee out, nothing just seemed to work or maybe they all combined to work. The bike just kept sliding all overbut i managed not to drop it or go into the side of the bridge. 5miles of total terror.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: orags

I got caught out in a real bad situation some days back. It was at night, on a bridge, gusty winds due to front of a thunderstorm and rain. The bike was sliding all over the place due to wind gust and wet slippery road.Was struggling to maintain 25mph. My buddy on an R1 ahead of me went thru the same. Was scared totally ****less. All tricks in the book failed... counter steering, lean to the wind, knee out, nothing just seemed to work or maybe they all combined to work. The bike just kept sliding all overbut i managed not to drop it or go into the side of the bridge. 5miles of total terror.
Heh, been there too. In some (sick?) manner afterwards, while all dry and toasty inside somewhere, I foundthat deep down I enjoyedthe challenge. [&:]

My cross-wind strategy? Chest to tank and slight shoulderoffsetagainst the wind. Ya, you look a bit goofy--but I find itreduces some of the surprise from nasty gusts.