F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Riding Questions (Shifting)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding Questions (Shifting)

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

so make sure you and your bike are in the best possible position to escape
In addition to first gear, I always point a little away from the car in front of me so if I have to scoot a few feet I have an exit.

I always start in first but if I am making a turn I short shift into second, it kind of smooths out my throttle response a little. Coming to a stop I usually click down to first automatically and if the situationtraffic changes I'll upshift to second soI won't get compression braking.

I don't ever us my gearbox for compression braking unless it is just an easy coast to a stop. I find that in a panic/emergency stop situation I don't have the skill/coordination to use both brakes feather the clutch match revs and downshift all at the same time like I can in a car. So I plan to stop/slow with only my brakes. Rear lock-up is very bad so be careful with the rear brake and downshifting for more braking is best left to those that are better riders than you and me.

Also I do all my braking in a staight line, I pick a gear, slow with my brakes, then release the clutch and attempt to match revs, then accelerate out of a turn.
I agree and share those experiences. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:52 AM

ORIGINAL: SeattleSy#1255

I don't shift into first when stopping and never really heard of people doing that. Yes, I'll start off in first from a light in a car, but I don't shift into first untill I am stopped. Like someone mentioned, often times you can't shift into first in a car.
Well, there are differences between the sequential gearbox of a motorcycle, and the gearbox of a car. One thing I am unsure of is that I know there is a synchronizer in a car, but I don't know of the existance of one in a bike. On a car you can usually defeat a bad synchronizer by simply double clutching therefore enabling you to get into first at a slightly higher speed (ex. 10 mph), but the motorcycle transmission would be a different animal altogether it seems.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:19 AM

I agree with all said, however had a bad experience with the SV last year with waitingin first gear at a stop sign. Car behind me failed to stop and gave us aslight bump. It wasn't big enough to drop my pillion and myself on the ground but was enough to jerk us heavily backwards. I lost balance, and gave the throttle a big twist which sent us wheeling in traffic. Luckily the cars coming down the main road managed to stop. Now I put in gear onlyat th every last minute.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:20 PM

yea i dont downshift into first until im going like 10 mph or slower.
and ive never tried starting out in 2nd gear.

is feathering the clutch bad?
im new and it takes me a while to get going from a stop, especially smoothly, so i usually feather the cluth as much as possible and give it a little gas when the clutch is almost fully released. i find that i kill it alot less this way.

should i be starting a different way?
sometimes i give it gas (up to about 2k-3k rpms) just as i start to feather the clutch which also works, but sometimes it gives this surging type reaction like stop go stop go stop go so i try not to do that much b/c idk if thats just how it reacts when you start that way or if its my error causing it to do that.