Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

riding questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding questions

so i went out on my first canyon ride this season last weekend....there was 4 of us. all coworkers. pretty good ride. an f4i, a duc monster, a gxr 750 and my f3. had a couple of questions for you guys in terms of leaning. sometimes when coming up on a turn, right or left, i start getting very anxious and kinda scared. is it b/c i'm not looking farther ahead and too focused on right in front of me? and when i am leaning, i get scared as if i will fall of the bike? is that normal or am just chicken sh*t?

on a side note, is this guy for real......

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/690850647.html

Old 05-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Default RE: riding questions

How long have you been riding? If you haven't been riding long, it's perfectly normal to be afraid of leaning the bike... most importantly, don't do something if you aren't 100% confident in your ability to successfully do whatever. You gotta take things step by step.

And lol @ the guy that thinks he can get $6500 for an F4

Old 05-22-2008, 12:39 PM

got the bike last june....put about 3k miles on it now, but only went to the mountains 3 times last year....so yes still a newbie.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:54 PM

that explains it then... I just started riding last summer, and I'm not completely comfortable with leaning over too far (still have like 3/4" chicken strips).... I'm sure you'll get more confident as you get more experienced (I'm hoping it happens to me lol).

Old 05-22-2008, 01:47 PM

yup....i've got the 3/4" chicken strips also....i'd like to get to them before the end of the season but we'll see.....the mountain roads are just now starting to clear of the gravel and that other stuff they put down during the winter so hopefully i'll be going more often.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Dont even worry about chicken strips, they mean nothing. You will get more comfortable as time passes and you get to carve more. Dont worry about feeling anxious either, thats a good thing, it will keep you in line and observant. It will get better as time goes by though.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:01 PM

What size tire are you running on the rear of that F3? I just changed from a 180 to the stock size 160 and my weekend ride was awesome! I used to feel like your explaining and now with the new size shoes, I was carving corners like butterand had 100% confidence...my GF didn't but I sure did LOL. Also if the rear or front are cupped some, that willmess with you every time. Hope it helped

Old 05-22-2008, 02:11 PM

I have about an inch chicken strip and i dont care. I dont feel like leaning it over that far, hitting gravel and trashing my baby once again...I will keep the extreme leans to the track. Should be hittin it up a few times this summer

Old 05-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Banned

Oh heavens to merkatroid - you posted a link to some silly CL ad... call the cops!

I have a question for you... when you get anxious - is it rights only, lefts only or both? The reason I ask is because most people have a tendency to be, "right/left hand shy." It just means your confidence isn't where it should be - the good news is it's all mental!

If you do come to realize you're right or left-hand shy, just focus on it. Ride in small parking lots and do some figure eights while riding the rear brake (gives you really good control when used with the throttle). Keep practicing it and make a cognizant effort everytime you approach a corner/curve to;

Find your line on approach, begin to downshift/back off throttle and look into your line. As soon as you begin to lean the bike it should be a combined effort to also begin re-applying throttle - the throttle is what keeps everything working with gavity instead of against it (which is when you feel squirlley). The aplication of more throttle will begin to stand the bike back up, at which point you should be looking well-into your corner exit and the next thing you know you're looking like a champ coming out of a corner and carrying some nice speed while doing it.

One BIG HUGE PIECE OF ADVICE - don't chop the throttle! When you begin to re-apply throttle your hand shouldn't ever come off the throttle (unless you're flying through the air ).

Good luck - I think I'm going to make some videos about this type of stuff, mix it with some Google maps to show cornering lines could help some folks see and understand how picking lines can make the difference between a nice, steady-paced ride or a frustrating, constantly-correcting yourself kinda ride.

Think that might help some people?

Old 05-22-2008, 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw
Good luck - I think I'm going to make some videos about this type of stuff, mix it with some Google maps to show cornering lines could help some folks see and understand how picking lines can make the difference between a nice, steady-paced ride or a frustrating, constantly-correcting yourself kinda ride.

Think that might help some people?
I don't see how it could hurt (and by that, I mean it would definitely help a lot of people)... go for it (assuming you're actually serious).

Quick Reply: riding questions