F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Reserve fuel level question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reserve fuel level question

I think I know the answer and it's kind of annoying, but today when I rode into work my reserve fuel came on around 139 miles, when I got close to work around 149 miles I was already flashing all 4 bars. I did come off an exit ramp so this is where I'm hoping the issue is that it didn't reset after a good lean into a turn.

I filled up the tank and put in 3.7 gallons of fuel. If the tank holds 4.7gal and the reserve kicks on with .9 gal left, how would the reserve bars be all the way down to all 4 flashing after only 10 miles or so??

This is going off of we get about 30 miles to a gallon.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reserve bars go down over time not whats left in the tank.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
The reserve bars go down over time not whats left in the tank.
Isn't that kind of pointless then? So within 20-30 mins they went all the way down to all 4 flashing. I thought they were a gauge for how much is left!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by HellrazerinDC
Isn't that kind of pointless then? So within 20-30 mins they went all the way down to all 4 flashing. I thought they were a gauge for how much is left!
i thought that is how it is suppose to be. i remember riding and immediatly having the top bar flash when i hit reserve, after another minute of riding it already had 2 bars flashing. After that i thought my gas should not be wasting that fast, so i did maintenance on my bike. Replaced fuel pressure regular and found out one spark plug was dead.

Now when i hit reserve. it stays at 4 bars with no flashing, and i do not think it just starts to go down with time, but with how much gas left instead.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by omg209
i thought that is how it is suppose to be. i remember riding and immediatly having the top bar flash when i hit reserve, after another minute of riding it already had 2 bars flashing. After that i thought my gas should not be wasting that fast, so i did maintenance on my bike. Replaced fuel pressure regular and found out one spark plug was dead.

Now when i hit reserve. it stays at 4 bars with no flashing, and i do not think it just starts to go down with time, but with how much gas left instead.
Hmmm I can't imagine the spark plugs or my fuel pressure regulator would need replacing. The bike only has 3,000 miles on it now. I guess it's a good thing I keep an eye on my mileage since the reserve indicator doesn't seem like an accurate way to determine.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM

I'd like to know how much gas each bar is as well... I've driven around for quite awhile with all 4 bars flashing and never put in close to 4.8 gallons.... hmm.

So who's going to be the fuel test dummy? Someone should ride til they run out of gas and let us know how long the 4 bars flashed

And 30MPG?! All stop n go traffic? Ride like a squid? I get low 40s, when I'm "rough" on my bike. I've gotten 51mpg taking it easy.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by p4eAaLcLe
I'd like to know how much gas each bar is as well... I've driven around for quite awhile with all 4 bars flashing and never put in close to 4.8 gallons.... hmm.

So who's going to be the fuel test dummy? Someone should ride til they run out of gas and let us know how long the 4 bars flashed

And 30MPG?! All stop n go traffic? Ride like a squid? I get low 40s, when I'm "rough" on my bike. I've gotten 51mpg taking it easy.
haha I lowballed the mileage to hopefully not start another discussion about it. Even if the bike did get 30mpg the bars shouldn't have gone down that fast after 10 miles. I definitely get upwards of 40s but I do a bit of riding downtown in DC to get out of the city

Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM

i have a -1 front sprocket and i shift at like..4K, yea that would means i would be shifting a lot in a small amount of time. While doing this i am trying to save gas, but at the same time i feel like im wasting gas because of the constant shifting.
Well after a week riding like that, and a little race, and a few miles with a passenger...Reserve came on
i get exactly 40mpg.which is low compared to what you guys are getting.
The funny thing is i had 4 bars showing that werent flashing, but i only filled up 3 gallons at the pump. so, yes the reserve is off by .84 gallons for me!
so that means i should of have .84 gallons left before my reserve should have came on, but it came on way before that.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by omg209
i have a -1 front sprocket and i shift at like..4K, yea that would means i would be shifting a lot in a small amount of time. While doing this i am trying to save gas, but at the same time i feel like im wasting gas because of the constant shifting.
Well after a week riding like that, and a little race, and a few miles with a passenger...Reserve came on
i get exactly 40mpg.which is low compared to what you guys are getting.
The funny thing is i had 4 bars showing that werent flashing, but i only filled up 3 gallons at the pump. so, yes the reserve is off by .84 gallons for me!
so that means i should of have .84 gallons left before my reserve should have came on, but it came on way before that.
That's what mine seems like it's doing as well. It'll stay solid for a bit, but then start to flash, and quickly flash them all as mentioned.

Seems like my reserve is kicking on a lot sooner as well if I put in about 4 gallons and all 4 bars were flashing.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:56 PM

I had it on reserve at 130 with 4 solid bars. Looked again at 135 with 1 flashing. 140 with 2-3 flashing. So I'm guessing a total of 15 max miles til your walking to station with your thumb out

Quick Reply: Reserve fuel level question