F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Regulator/rectifier

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regulator/rectifier

I know this subject has been discussed many times, but I haven't seen any regarding the 06 F4i. Anyway:

I'm looking to replace my R/R, but it seems Honda makes crappy parts (just like the cam chain tensioner) and I've heard about people putting R/R's from other bikes (GSXR's and R1's) on the F4i. The thing is, the wire set up is different, which doesn't allow for a simple "plug in and go" procedure. The F4i's R/R has eight wires, while the GXSR and R1's have five

I was wondering if soldering would be the answer. If anyone has experience with this, please help. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Default RE: Regulator/rectifier

there is a problem with the regulators??cant say that I have heard that. Im am on my second F4i, both '01 btw.
what happened to yours?

since you apparently dont like Honda parts, have you tried aftermarket parts designed for the F4i? How much is a regulator anyway?

I dont know that I would try and put something onabike as new as yoursthat would require "rigging"

Old 03-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do give a second thought to your assumptions:
1> the R/R needs to be replaced
2> stock honda R/Rs are low quality components [&:]

more details would always help with regard to the above

Old 03-29-2008, 12:28 PM

Well about my opinion about honda parts: That came about when my CCT started rattling like crazy at just around 3 or 4 thous. miles. I was going to put another OEM Honda CCT back on but I didn't want that to happen again at 7 or 8K so I put an A.P.E. in it. Works perfect. It turned out the the majority of people on this site that had to change their CCT felt the same way.

As for the situation with the R/R: (I only have 8000 miles on it)
Honestly, I'm a little stumped about it because my bike is still new. But it died out on me more than a few times just out of the blue. (i.e. Ride around for a while to wherever, get off for however long, come back and put the key in, hit the switch, and it's dead, which results in push starting.) I've replaced the battery once about a year ago. Since then this happened three times, usually after the bike gets hot. I even charge the battery up every now and then, but it seems like that doesn't make too much of a difference. I bought a multimeter to test the battery and it's just fine. So my guess is that it's the R/R.

I've done some research and this link talks about putting a R1 R/R on an older Honda. http://www.vlc.com.au/%7Ejustin/abou...g_replace.html

The Honda Dealerships sell R/R's for $150. Ebay has used ones for about $60.
I would really love to just get another honda R/R and slap in on there (if that's the problem), but I don't want to have to do this every 8k miles.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:54 PM

How long do regulator/rectifiers usually last before they go bad anyway?

Old 03-30-2008, 07:30 PM

I really dont know, the subject of replacing one comes up occasionally on 10yr+ old bikes, but I cant think of any right off the top of my head on newer ones. doesnt mean it doesnt happen, maybe its just something I havent paid attention to.

ask thirdgen, he has well over 100K on his F4i. not sure if he ever replaced his or not

as for your problem, it sounds like loose battery connections to me.