F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Recommedations from you track junkies, please?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommedations from you track junkies, please?!

Hey all,
So I've got the bug to hit the track. I have a few friends that do this and after alot of thought and consideration, I'm gonna commit. So, for those of you who participate in track days and have the equipment, are there any recommendations for web sites to get great deals on leathers and boots???
Also, the difference between say a $400-500 suit vs a $1k??? Not looking to break the bank here...

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:39 AM

Go to your local bike shop. You will probably get a better price than what you could find online anyway. With something that important you want it to fit as perfectly as possible. My recommendation would be to blindfold yourself, don't worry too much about pretty colors! As far as price goes, that will be obvious once you start to try them on...

Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As for leathers, as recommended, you need to try on as many different suits as possible to find the right fit for you. I think the last time I bought new leathers, I tried on about 15 dif suits over about 5 different brands. When you find something that fits well, you're generally better off buying local even if its a few more bucks b/c you *know* how it fits. Check out as many local bike shops & your closest Cycle Gear store.

While it is possible to find better prices online, you never really know what you're going to get til you try them on. If they don't fit, you're caught in a seemingly endless circle of sending them back & retrying (gets expensive shipping-wise). If you're determined to buy online, try to find the exact leathers locally, having tried them on for sizing, then order. You'll have a better chance of getting it right the first try on ordering.

Also, consider if you want a 1pc or 2pc suit. W/a 2pc, you can mix & match your sizes. For example, w/ Alpinestars (among others), you can get the waist size pants you need & the size jacket you need. However, make sure if you go the 2pc route, that you get pieces that can be zipped together.

I recommend Sidi boots for the track. I use the Sidi Vertigo & love 'em. Its difficult to find Sidi boots "on sale" b/c they are quality & generally price-fixed. However, online places like kneedraggers, motorcycle-superstore, etc, have them & may offer specials from time to time.

Lastly, w/ your budget needs, don't rule out used leathers. Nothing wrong w/ picking up what you need at a discounted price b/c someone no longer wants them. Just make sure you can inspect & try them on b/f purchase. Craigslist is a good place to look.

Good luck.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:05 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

sportbiketrackgear has a teknic 1 piece suit on sale right now for $300 quite the steal

Old 04-25-2011, 11:05 AM

I remember when I got my first set of leathers I got so tired getting in and out of them to try them on. Also a 2 piece is great because you can wear just the jacket when you go on street rides. Many tracks require a full 360* zipper where the waist meets the jacket too, so make sure they have that as well.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I love trackdays immensly. I am not a good person to ask about gear as gear doesn't mean sh*t to me. My Spidi jacket I bought for winter daily riding. I found my technic leather pants on craigslist for $70 brand new and a size too big. They zip to my jacket so they work good enough for me. Boots I got for $50 used on craigslist and they are a half size too small. They only hurt while walking so they are fine for track only use. Paid $50 for my full length gloves new and that I considerd a slurge item. As you can see I don't believe in paying out the **** for gear I use once a month for a total of about 4hrs.