F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rear LED Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear LED Turn Signals

Not had the time lately. But will try unplugging the front signals to see if it makes any difference. I had spliced the front side and mirror signals together. I had swapped the original relay already, if I can get to it I'll see if there is a part number on it. Was quite a while ago I got it so don't think it's in my eBay history.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:43 PM

Ah, found it:
eBay Item number 280466041545

Old 08-01-2015, 03:43 PM

Part number seems to be: 714151

Old 08-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluebadger
Fast flash is meant to warn you of a fault. Normally a light out, which you might want to know so you can hand signal to others. Otherwise you risk not knowing and someone hitting you because there was no signal to be seen.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a few years since I looked into this. The fast flash indication applies to normal incandescent bulb systems and not LED replacements. With incandescent, one goes out and the decrease in resistance makes the conventional flash relay cycle faster. With replacement LEDs they produce a fast flash because they decrease resistance in the circuit and causes the conventional flasher to fast cycle. Replacement LED specific relays depend on resistors or time interval switching. If a LED light goes out even with a LED relay in place, there is no change in flash time because of the small change in resistance. If there is newer technology on the market, I would like to know.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Incompatible
We all choose our priorities.
Definitely not arguing with that one, it's the reason why I left the whole fast flashing/relay for the end while taking care of other more important things.

Now if you're referring to the fast flashing as a priority keeping a little safer and more visible, then I think most manufacturers if not all would be adjusting their flashers accordingly. As you mentioned in your latest response, it has to do with the load not being as great on LED vs incandescent bulbs hence triggering a faster flash.

At this point, I think it boils down to opinions. You think the fast flash is more noticeable hence being safer. I think it looks cheap because its an incomplete modification. Whatever the reason for either party, we do what floats our boats and be happy with out decisions

Originally Posted by bluebadger
Ah, found it:
eBay Item number 280466041545 Part number seems to be: 714151
Thank you, sir!

[/QUOTE]

Old 08-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colombo
.... At this point, I think it boils down to opinions. You think the fast flash is more noticeable hence being safer. I think it looks cheap because its an incomplete modification. Whatever the reason for either party, we do what floats our boats and be happy with out decisions
Well said!

Old 08-04-2015, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Incompatible
Please correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a few years since I looked into this. The fast flash indication applies to normal incandescent bulb systems and not LED replacements. With incandescent, one goes out and the decrease in resistance makes the conventional flash relay cycle faster. With replacement LEDs they produce a fast flash because they decrease resistance in the circuit and causes the conventional flasher to fast cycle. Replacement LED specific relays depend on resistors or time interval switching. If a LED light goes out even with a LED relay in place, there is no change in flash time because of the small change in resistance. If there is newer technology on the market, I would like to know.
I see your point there. Not sure if that good a relay exists yet. Especially with most aftermarket setups being cheap imports. But I suppose with manufacturers moving towards led as stock, you'd kinda expect they would build the same fast flash feature in or some other warning. Maybe a dashboard warning. In which case I suppose fast flash okay. Each to their own ;P