F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Quick Handlebar and Winter Storage Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Handlebar and Winter Storage Question

I just changed my handlebar grips today on my 06 which sucked bc I cant get the handlebar end off one side so I had to go over it but anyways I noticed on the throttle side that the plastic housing that the starter and kill switch is on, It looks like its two pieces that come together over the handlebar but on mine theres like a tiny gap in between the two pieces closest to the starter. Hard to explain but If needed ill take a pic. I tried pushing together but nothing. How could I go about fixing this? Also on that same plastic housing im able to twist it up and down, its not really lose but not tight either and the two screws seem tight should I just crank them down more or is this normal? The owner before me dropped the bike on that side.

As for winter storage im planning on throwing some fuel stabilizer in, battery charger on it and changing the oil. Is there anything else I should do? Ive read that you should spray some crap in each cyclinder so it doesnt rust but I plan on letting it run every 2weeks, so is that needed? Do I need to drain the fuel out of the actual lines? My bike will be in a heated garage.

Thanks everybody

Old 10-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do something about the tires

Heated garage or not, it's not good for tires to sit in one spot for an extended period. Motorcycle or car. The tires could develop flat spots. So either raise the bike off the tires with front & rear stands. Or go out and move the bike a little so its not sitting on the same spot of the tires

Old 10-16-2010, 10:59 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MuscleswitCBR
I just changed my handlebar grips today on my 06 which sucked bc I cant get the handlebar end off one side so I had to go over it but anyways I noticed on the throttle side that the plastic housing that the starter and kill switch is on, It looks like its two pieces that come together over the handlebar but on mine theres like a tiny gap in between the two pieces closest to the starter. Hard to explain but If needed ill take a pic. I tried pushing together but nothing. How could I go about fixing this? Also on that same plastic housing im able to twist it up and down, its not really lose but not tight either and the two screws seem tight should I just crank them down more or is this normal? The owner before me dropped the bike on that side.

As for winter storage im planning on throwing some fuel stabilizer in, battery charger on it and changing the oil. Is there anything else I should do? Ive read that you should spray some crap in each cyclinder so it doesnt rust but I plan on letting it run every 2weeks, so is that needed? Do I need to drain the fuel out of the actual lines? My bike will be in a heated garage.

Thanks everybody

Heated garage means you're good to go. Start it up every week and there will nothin to worry about. Atleast every 2 and let it warm up good so you know everything has been circulated. If its gonna sit for a while then some stands might be a good idea