F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Question about front forks/triple tree

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about front forks/triple tree

Well bought the bike used and after a cop (he was waiting at the shop and was checking out my bike) noticed the front forks were sticking out of the triple tree i always thought it was supposed to be that way. After checking out some threads and seeing that everyone elses triple tree is flush with the top of the forks i decided to post up and you guys can decide.

Does this mean the front of the bike is dropped as well? What are the disadavantages besides my arms being slightly lower? And how can i raise it back up? I plan on getting my rear back to factory since thats dropped an inch as well, hopefully i won't have a problem flat footing, i'm only 5'7

Name:  Droppedtripletree.jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  70.4 KB

Old 09-10-2007, 04:46 PM
I ♥ CBRF
Default RE: Question about front forks/triple tree

Yeah you got about a 2" drop on the front. Advantage -unsure other then a sleeker look and tighter handle. Disadavantage - Palm of hands hurt like hell after an hour of riding. Its pretty easy to adjust, just slighty loosen the tripple's, get front end off of ground and adjust the forksuntil desired height is met. More details can be provided if needed but all and all easy if you want to put back to stock.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:51 PM

Would i loosen the triple tree at the bottom part or the top? I tried the top and i also moved both handles up but when i did that full lock to lock they hit the windshield. I also loosened the triple tree up top but didnt lift the front end.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need a front stand to do this or suspend the bike by the header (if you have stock headers, aftermarket is too soft). you need to loosen the pinch bolts (the bolts for the clip ons, circled in your pix, the next set of bolts below them and then the lower triples). so total like 6 bolts.

lowering the front helps you dive in better, but you're less stable. you also lose the amount of lean you can have on the bike before fairings, etc. start scraping.

i'm 5'7" but have beautiful legs so i used to flat foot...but now i tip toe since i have aftermarket suspension. it's not necessary to flat foot...once you have your confidence down on the bike, only 1 toe is need to balance it...and to feel very safe doing so!

T

Old 09-10-2007, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

you need a front stand to do this or suspend the bike by the header (if you have stock headers, aftermarket is too soft). you need to loosen the pinch bolts (the bolts for the clip ons, circled in your pix, the next set of bolts below them and then the lower triples). so total like 6 bolts.

lowering the front helps you dive in better, but you're less stable. you also lose the amount of lean you can have on the bike before fairings, etc. start scraping.

i'm 5'7" but have beautiful legs so i used to flat foot...but now i tip toe since i have aftermarket suspension. it's not necessary to flat foot...once you have your confidence down on the bike, only 1 toe is need to balance it...and to feel very safe doing so!

T
and i must admit he has beautiful legs. MMM very muscluar.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:20 PM

hahah well i live in a city also called "The Seven Hills" i guess you can bet why haha, so i have no problems balancing the bike on even one foot since im used to using the rear brake (haven't mastered it at all yet but getting there haha)

I know boots help so ill be buying new ones. Front header its gonna be, i figured id have to loosen up all 3 of em, but i had the handle bars all the way up and they would hit the windscreen. Is this still going to happen or will it be different now? I lock my steering all the time even in my garage so.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:23 PM

oh and im gonna guess stock height is better correct? I dont mind tip toing i was wondering why the bike was handling worse then my car in turns hahaha

Old 09-10-2007, 07:28 PM
I ♥ CBRF

Stock height is fine but I really didn't mind the 1.5" drop on mine. Seemed to ride a little firm but then againthe rear was stock height. Losen your handle bars, upper tree screw and both the 11 screws on yourlower (see pic). I just barely got the screws loose while bike was on ground, jacked it up to get front end up andget everything loose. Move the tree down or upto desired heightand torq bolts to spec. Really importand totorq thembecause you dont want to over tighten and ruin your expensive forks.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:32 PM
I ♥ CBRF

Tried to shorten that up but I suck. You get the point anyways.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yo....the handle bars are the clip ons. they stay where they are at...everything stays in the same position, only thing is that the forks get lowered (bike raises) so nothing should hit...does that make sense?