F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Proton Flushmounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proton Flushmounts

Hey guys I have a quick question...I recently installed a HotBodies Undertail kit as well as Proton flushmounts for my '06 F4i. The rear turn signals blink at the same rate as the dash light goes off, but the Protons, (wired to blink at OEM speed -none of the fancy other options) and they go off kind of slow, (definitely slower than the dash/rear turns). I've heard issues where it goes off too fast and may require a resistor, but I have the opposite issue. My OCD is killing me and I'm wanting the front turns to flicker at the same rate as my dash/rear turns...any input?

Old 06-20-2011, 02:39 PM

Is it a delayed flash or is it flashing at the opposite timing as the rear/dash? As in, do the protons come on when the rears go off? If that's the case, you've wired the protons incorrectly (12v is hooked to ground, and visa versa).

Old 06-20-2011, 02:54 PM

Hooked it up per the how-to on this site and is delayed, (slower blink).

Old 06-20-2011, 04:04 PM

Let's clarify a few things first:

1. The HotBodies undertail kit has turn signals built into them, right? And they're LEDs?

2. The Protons are also LEDs, right? Also elaborate on what you mean on "wired to blink at OEM speed" - how did you wire it, exactly?

3. Do the rear signals turn ON when the dash is ON? Or do the dash and rear alternate (dash on, rears off - dash off, rear on)? Miswiring of the rear could cause this delay as well.

4. Could you link us which how-to you used?

Old 06-20-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by yunebug
Let's clarify a few things first:

1. The HotBodies undertail kit has turn signals built into them, right? And they're LEDs? YES.

2. The Protons are also LEDs, right? Also elaborate on what you mean on "wired to blink at OEM speed" - how did you wire it, exactly? YES; When I flick the turn signal switch, the rear turn signals (LED's) blink at the same rate as it does on the dash. The Protons on the other hand blink at approximiately half the speed as the rears/dash

3. Do the rear signals turn ON when the dash is ON? Or do the dash and rear alternate (dash on, rears off - dash off, rear on)? Miswiring of the rear could cause this delay as well. I think I touched on it on #2.

4. Could you link us which how-to you used?
Here's the link I used when wiring up the Protons: https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...rt-rant-49467/

For reference, see how in this video, the rears and the sides blink at nearly the same rate? My Protons flash like 1-2, pause, 1-2, pause, 1-2, pause. I wired them up using both the orange/yellow to achieve the normal pattern even: https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...video**-66976/

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-20-2011, 07:03 PM

Wire the protons for "strobe effect" and that should solve your problem.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:20 PM

Okay. I've read all posts and watched the video.

You did not use an aftermarket flasher relay right? The rear is flashing pretty fast and the front is flashing at normal speed? Is that what you mean when you say "the protons are flashing at approx. Half speed"?

The protons, afaik, are supposed to be a direct plug and play - meaning you don't need an aftermarket flasher relay or resistors in line. So if you had left the rear turn signals stock (with incandescent bulbs), all lights would blink at the same time.

When you replaced the rear with the LEDs, which draw much less power, the turn signal rate increases. You're seeing the rear and the dash flash rather quickly - much faster than oem. The fronts are flashing at normal rate because they're designed to.

The solution is to buy an aftermarket flash relay. After installing that, all lights will flash at the same rate.

LED Flasher Unit LF1-S-FLAT Specifications

Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 PM

That wouldn't solve the problem either Yune. The lights will not all flash the same, unless you get a set of the 2 wire flush mounts and wire them with a cuple diodes. The Protons appear to have their own circuitry to control the flashing and will flash differently no matter what you do to the rears/bike.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:31 PM

Rears flash at normal rates as per video. Fronts blink at about half the speed as the rears and the dash. It's truly strange! I think I may take your advice F34Me and see if wiring it with the orange wire only will solve my issue.

psst..any word on the how-to? .

Old 06-20-2011, 07:41 PM

The only difference between the video and his bike is the relay. In the video, after he installs the relay, the blinks returned to stock and flashed at the same time. The video's integrated tails is no different that his underbody kit - group of LEDs.

I do agree that the protons must have some sort of their own circuitry inside - and that's what's causing the irregular blinking when used in conjunction with the under tail kit.

The video has proven that when you have protons in the front and leds in the rear, a flasher relay will regular the flashes. This is the easiest way to solve his problem.

But if money is problem, then try wiring the orange one first. Keep us posted. :0)

Quick Reply: Proton Flushmounts