How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Proton Light Install + Short Rant!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proton Light Install + Short Rant!

Okay! I'm sure you're curious, either about the lights, or the rant, so here goes the rant first, and I'll keep it short as promised!

I appreciate those people that have read the post https://cbrforum.com/m_150365/tm.htm

If you haven't, take a moment to do so. I love "How-To's", and they're very helpful... but littering a how-to thread with questions bugs the crap out of me. That's why there's a General Tech area. If you have questions, or want to request a how-to, go there. There are plenty of great people with answers there too I promise! So post here if you've got a good write-up, and you're willing to share your experience. DON'T POST HERE if you aren't sharing your experience... DON'T POST HERE if you have questions (unless your questions are IN a real "how too" thread).

Okay! All better, here's the tools you'll need for this very simple install. It took me about an hour, but I was very **** about how I did everything (though, in retrospect, if I'd really wanted to do it perfect, I would have soldered and shrink wrapped the wires, instead of the regular crimp-style connectors and electrical tape) and I was being lazy, showin' some local kids in the neighborhood what I was doing and all that. If you're quick about it, I'd say you could get it done in 15-20 minutes.
*Wire cutters
*Crimping tool
*Something to strip the wires with (knife, wire stripper, box cutter, your teeth, the razor sharp gaze of your wife when she says "You spent how much on what?!", you know whatever works)
*Ratchet and 14mm socket

I should have taken a picture of the small box that the lights came in... but I guess I was in too big of a hurry. First thing you do is reach inside to the back of your stock front lights. You can feel the bolt back there, just use your ratchet and socket and unscrew the bolt. I held onto the light when I did so, the nut was somewhat stuck.

Once the nut comes off, there's a small "plate" with two holes, one for the wire, and one for the bolt. I didn't get a picture of this thing, but I mention it because you need to make sure it goes back in place and you thread your wires through the whole before you crimp them down. I say this... because I didn't do that on one of the sides, so I had to cut the wires and hook them back up to fix the problem. Speaking of... when you cut the lights off with your wire cutters, if you left some length of wire on the lights (in case you want to put the old lights back on some day), you're not going to have much to work with, so be careful when you're doing your wire stripping later.

After you've cut the wires off, thread them out the back (this is where that plate I mentioned will fall out if it hasn't yet, it's just held on by the nut and the wire). I used my handy DVOM to figure out which wires were ground, power, and the "blinker wire", although this isn't a required tool, but you'll have to find out somehow which wire is which. Strip some wire back and get to connecting. I'm pretty sure that the left side wires were orange, orange white, and a dark color (I think blue). The rule of thumb is that the dark wire will be your ground (on both sides). Be sure That you put the correct light on the correct side (will sit in the hole flush), and make sure to re-thread the wires through the plate I keep mentioning. When you're done it'll look somewhat like this...

I connected the yellow wire, because I wanted the strobe effect. Orange will give you a slow fade-in and fade-out, connect them both and you'll get a 'normal' blink rate.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Default RE: Proton Light Install + Short Rant!

Continueing on to the other side (right), you've got blue, blue white, and green. Green, the "dark" color is again your ground.

Connect them up, and there ya go... Blue white is your constant power (connect to red wire), and blue is your "flasher" wire, connect it to your choice. Again, I chose Yellow for the strobe effect.

Wrap the wires up and make them as waterproof as you can, tuck them back in the hole that they come from behind the fairings. When you screw the provided nut (with new provided washer) down to finish it all off, don't screw it on too tight, but make sure it's still snug. (don't forget the plate I keep talking about... it annoyed the crap out of me that I forgot it and had to re-do the dang thing)
After that, you're done! Here's some pictures of before, after, and all that kind of thing!
Before...

After...

Old 09-12-2007, 09:36 PM

And here's some more pictures...
One side Stock, one side Flush...

Light off...

Light On (parking light)...

Hope that helps and good luck! I think it looks WAY better. Overall, I would say it's a nice cosmetic upgrade. They are plenty bright, and the strobe effect is very noticable. The running lights can be seen from the front and sides, as well as the blinking. The front visability isn't as blatant as the stock lights, frankly, that's because they don't stick out all huge and annoying. That aside, I would say you don't lose much, thanks to the very bright led's, and I'd recommend these to anybody who's considering different types of flush mounts.

I'd also like to give a shout out to Mike from High Tech Speed (where I ordered the lights, the manufacturers), there was an error (my own fault) with my card information when I put the order in online. He sent me an e-mail requesting I contact them via phone to resolve the issue. When I did, I found out that, even without proper information, he had already sent out the lights in good faith. I recieved them shortly afterwards. Excelent service and super friendly!

Old 09-13-2007, 12:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Lrn2Go
If you haven't, take a moment to do so. I love "How-To's", and they're very helpful... but littering a how-to thread with questions bugs the crap out of me. That's why there's a General Tech area. If you have questions, or want to request a how-to, go there. There are plenty of great people with answers there too I promise! So post here if you've got a good write-up, and you're willing to share your experience. DON'T POST HERE if you aren't sharing your experience... DON'T POST HERE if you have questions (unless your questions are IN a real "how too" thread).
every time i see a thread asking how to do something in this section, i always want to reply with "READ THE STICKIES!!!!!! THIS BELONGS IN THE GENERAL TECH SECTION!!!!!!" but i force myself to be nice. glad im not the only who feels that way....

anyways, this is a great how-to. the bike looks much better with the proton signals on it. one word of advice that i could give is to not use those crimp-on connectors. soldering and heat-shrinking looks a lot better, is waterproof, has a better connection, and keeps a smaller wire diameter (in case you have to fit it through a small hole or something). but besides that, it looks really good!
________
Lovely Wendie99

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:17 AM

I agree with you, that would have been better. I even mentioned that up near the top of my original post. But, come winter when I'm bored out of my mind in the house, I'll go out to the garage and start staring at the bike, thinking of things I can do to it, and I'm sure this will come to mind. I'll strip the fairings off, the old conectors, and solder everything up real pretty and neat like. (This, of course, would be a lot easier if I didn't ride the bike even in real cold weather... maybe save it for a good iced-over day...)

It took me about an hour, but I was very **** about how I did everything (though, in retrospect, if I'd really wanted to do it perfect, I would have soldered and shrink wrapped the wires, instead of the regular crimp-style connectors and electrical tape) and I was being lazy, showin' some local kids in the neighborhood what I was doing and all that. If you're quick about it, I'd say you could get it done in 15-20 minutes.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:44 PM

I agree with you, that would have been better. I even mentioned that up near the top of my original post. But, come winter when I'm bored out of my mind in the house, I'll go out to the garage and start staring at the bike, thinking of things I can do to it, and I'm sure this will come to mind. I'll strip the fairings off, the old conectors, and solder everything up real pretty and neat like. (This, of course, would be a lot easier if I didn't ride the bike even in real cold weather... maybe save it for a good iced-over day...)
haha i must have completely skipped that part. at least you took the time to do a how-to and help out the electrically challenged who may not be able to solder
________
HotSensation

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 11:02 PM.