F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

LED Light Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up LED Light Install

Well the previous owner had hacked up the rear end pretty bad as you can see and he had installed tiny little LEDs for the rear turn signals. I just finished installing a smoked taillight with integrated turn signals. The wiring was pretty simple and I ended up using some spade connections to hook everything up. I also changed out the LED front turn signals for some that were a little nicer looking. I purchased a hotbodies undertail kit along with a rear hugger to clean up the rear end a bit. These should be here in about a week and they will probably end up getting a coat of gloss black. Don't tell my wife I'm spending money already!

Josh

Old Pics

New Pics

Old 12-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can you show me the instructions on how to wire this guy up?? i just got this tail light for my f2 and have no idea how to wire it in

Old 12-20-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by JankCibberf2
can you show me the instructions on how to wire this guy up?? i just got this tail light for my f2 and have no idea how to wire it in
This is the thread I used as a guide to hooking up the taillight.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...illight-91149/

I also used a circuit tester to verify which wires coming off the bike were for the turn signals and rear light/brake light.

Circuit Tester at Menards

The other thread shows a plug that goes into one of the bulb housings. I cut this off and decided to use "crimp on" spade connectors for the wiring. The picture below is my wiring hooked up and working correctly. Don't mind the white wires... I had to extend the wiring coming out of the taillight housing after I cut the plug off. They are soldered together and I used heat shrink tube. It's very important to make sure you have good contact points and minimize any opportunities for failure, especially when dealing with your lighting system.

The factory turn signal plugs have two wires. I taped the ground wire back and just hooked up one wire from each plug to the taillight wiring. The factory taillight plug has three wires. Green should be ground and goes to the black wire on the taillight. Black w/ stripe should go to yellow wire on taillight and green/yellow stripe should go to red wire on taillight. This is all for a 2006, so I don't know if the wire colors are the same.

The circuit tester is an invaluable tool to have and takes the guesswork out of the whole equation. You connect one side to a ground on the bike and touch the other "needle" side to one of the wires on the harness. If you hit your turn signal and the light on the tester blinks, you found the right wire to use for that turn signal. Same goes for the brakes; touch the needle to a contact point on the harness and hit the brakes. If the tester light lights up, that is the brake wire.

Hope I helped a bit and didn't confuse ya to much!

Josh

Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 PM

Lol what a bright idea..."hey, lets put one led on each side of the tail for turn signals. They'll look just like flush mount led turn signals!" :3 pfft! I nominate the here's your sign award!

Old 12-22-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by donnygeewebb
Lol what a bright idea..."hey, lets put one led on each side of the tail for turn signals. They'll look just like flush mount led turn signals!" :3 pfft! I nominate the here's your sign award!
My thoughts exactly.... To be honest, I'm not sure that I even like having half the taillight blinking for my turn signal. I will probably end up with separate lights for the turn signals so the brake light is 100% operational every time I use it.

Josh

Old 12-22-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by jch82
My thoughts exactly.... To be honest, I'm not sure that I even like having half the taillight blinking for my turn signal. I will probably end up with separate lights for the turn signals so the brake light is 100% operational every time I use it.

Josh
Thats very smart friend. My tail light has the blinkers integrated with the brake light and it makes me feel a little uneasy coming to an intersection. I feel like without the full brake light output its allowing 50 % visibility for the cager behind me. Probably going to change that out soon also.