F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Preload Reference Point on Rear Shock (already searched)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Preload Reference Point on Rear Shock (already searched)

Where the hell is it so I know what setting I'm on? The service or owner's manual don't say jack and I've read through five pages of threads.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reference Point on Rear Shock (already searched)

which setting are you referring to?

compression - rebound- or pre load

the manual describes both rebound and compression, so I assume you are asking about the preload. I am not near my bike right now, but best I can remember is that there are numbers etched in the body, and when you turn the ring with the shock tool, there is a little window everytime you turn it
that shows what number you are on. I think that was thisbike anyway. like I said, I cant go and look at the bike right now, but regardless, I do remember there is a number on there that is harder than hell to read. and that it also reads the same no matter which side of the bike you are on.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:29 PM

What he said. There is a window and it not what I was looking for either when I look at the first time.a arrow would be more obvious. It reads perpendicular to the chaise if I remember right

Old 04-16-2008, 05:32 AM

Thank you for asking this question. I was going to ask this myself the other day. It diddnt seem to me that you could see any one number in perticular though any single window. I think there is a bunch all around the ring. Unless the window you speak of is not the notches in the ring for the spanner wrench. What side can you see the number from, right or left?

I will look before I head out for work this morning and post up after work to see if I better understand it. I cant wait to learn enough to get my suspension dialed in to my liking.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:20 PM

I couldn't see jack when I went outside just now. Perhaps someone can take a pic and point to that bad boy. I am refering to the preload (sorry about not clarifying).

Old 04-16-2008, 04:04 PM

Okay, I checked it out at work this morning. As far as I can tell it is like this. There are 7 settings (I believe) on the shock for spring preload. There are 14 (I think) windows with numbers under them. The numbers wrap around twice so you can see what the setting is from either side. Thereare black raised tangson the shock that meets with the collar that changes the spring tension. The tangs are right on the sides of the shock, as far as I can tell, whatever window is above the tang, the number below the window is the preload setting. It should read the same number on both sides.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 PM

That looks right because I checked it just now and I believe I have it on the hardest setting. Good detective work!

Old 04-16-2008, 05:01 PM

I had mine on like 5 or something. My friend told me he put it up one for two up riding, so i figured, righty tighty. I think it is actually the other way, clockwise is less, counter is stiffer. Dont quote me on that though. Be careful when changing the setting. It takes a good amount of force to move it, especially if it is on a hard setting. You dont want to slip with the wrench and smack your heelguards, rearsets, swingarm or rear subframe. I smashed myself in the face with a pair of needlenose trying to get the break pedal tension spring back on. I was working too close to my face and the pliers slipped off, smacked me right in the bridge of the nose.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: MC_spirited

I had mine on like 5 or something. My friend told me he put it up one for two up riding, so i figured, righty tighty. I think it is actually the other way, clockwise is less, counter is stiffer. Dont quote me on that though. Be careful when changing the setting. It takes a good amount of force to move it, especially if it is on a hard setting. You dont want to slip with the wrench and smack your heelguards, rearsets, swingarm or rear subframe. I smashed myself in the face with a pair of needlenose trying to get the break pedal tension spring back on. I was working too close to my face and the pliers slipped off, smacked me right in the bridge of the nose.
Ouch, I wore my riding gloves when I did it (saw that tip on here somewhere). I thought counter was stiffer as well which is the opposite of the pre-load, compression, and rebound. Stiff as hell but handles better.