F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Power goes at times....wth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power goes at times....wth?

OK, I got my first bike a little over a month ago. After a few days of riding it I found the power surged in/out when you tried to get on it at all, in any gear. I found the battery was lose so Izip-tied it and that seemed to help.The guyI bought it from said it might be from bad gas due to it sitting solong. So I've been running 93 and it seemed to help the problem but the bike still will surge in/out with the power very randomly. For instance, I rode say 150 miles today with zero problemsand then parked it for about two hours. After the two hours I went to ride the 10 miles home and the bikes power was surging bad. I could be on the freeway and floor it in 6th and it wouldn't go any faster. If I dropped a few gears it just emphasizes the surging a lot more but still nothing.

What the hell could cause this? I've ridden the last 1000 miles surge free and then it just shows up. I had 75 miles on the tank of gas so I had plenty of gas in it. It's beginning to interiate me and I have no clue what it could be. It's happened a few other times and if I let it sit again and then go out later it's back to normal. Very strange.

Any ideas? lol

Old 06-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Default RE: Power goes at times....wth?

could be a/some clogged/bad injector(s)...run some fuel injector cleaner in there and see if it happens again...

Old 06-28-2008, 11:09 PM

Check that the cords are wraped TIGHT around the battery terminals. Also make sure you don't smeel gas fumes, you nike may be running rich which can cause power surges over the RPMs. Do you have a power commander on it by chance? I bad map will cause your bike to act like that, I had the same problem.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:26 AM

After market pipe? With a improperly tuned bike to a afterr market pipe, it will tend to do that. Almost like flat spots in the throttle at times, usually more when the bikes cold.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:19 AM

I'm thinking it has to be a connection the more I think about it, if it were gas then it would do it all the time. I've run through a can of fuel injector cleaner and run 93 most of the time and it seems to run fine.

I'm not sure if it has a power commander or not. I don't see anything under the tail that says powercommanderbut if that was the cause of the problem wouldn't it do it all the time and not just once in a blue moon?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your positive and negative terminals for corrosion as previously stated.

don't use 93 unless you're tuned for it or you pinging on regular and up. even then i can't see why you would need more than 89.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: JeremyGSU

... I found the battery was lose so Izip-tied it and that seemed to help.The ...
Zip-tied??? Your battery terminals need to be screwed on properly. All the symptoms you mentioned point to loose battery terminals. You might want to check that again.