F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

power commander and performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: power commander and performance

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

PC's are more trouble than their worth
I agree 100%. PCIII, Slip on, air filter, dyno tune costs big money and gives you noise, and lower MPGin return. Even if you get 10HP with a full system, it costs about $120/HP and screws up your torque curve, that is really just a waste of money. These bikes ain't a 1970 Nova where a cam or a Holley would help, these are optimized, engineered systems from front to back. There is very little opportunities to make things better on these bikes without making HUGE changes.

Take that crap off and sell it on ebay. Let those clever little engineers at Honda do the thinking, you shouldjust enjoy the ride.
Factory-mappings are optimized on emissions, leaning the bike out in the rpm range where the emission measurements are taken to get the bike legal for road use...

A power commander makes the powerband smoother... live with it.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:03 PM

I agree 100%. PCIII, Slip on, air filter, dyno tune costs big money and gives you noise, and lower MPG in return. Even if you get 10HP with a full system, it costs about $120/HP and screws up your torque curve, that is really just a waste of money. These bikes ain't a 1970 Nova where a cam or a Holley would help, these are optimized, engineered systems from front to back. There is very little opportunities to make things better on these bikes without making HUGE changes.

Take that crap off and sell it on ebay. Let those clever little engineers at Honda do the thinking, you should just enjoy the ride.
Sorry but they are not optimized, they are a compromise. The only reason the engineer put a pipe like the stock one on was because they were required to. Laws and rules dictate some of the design. The only optimization is to stay within those boundaries dictated by laws and rules.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Banned

Factory-mappings are optimized on emissions, leaning the bike out in the rpm range where the emission measurements are taken to get the bike legal for road use...

Maybe you are right, $1000 to make an $5000 bike smoother. That does make alot of sense considering your bike is worth less and less everyday. That is like taking a girl out to dinner AFTER you bang her. If you have $1000 to spend to make something smooother not really faster, then god bless...you make your money easier than I do.

I'd rather keep my money for the next bike. PCIII are for suckers.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

ORIGINAL: 99camarosupersport

PC's are more trouble than their worth unless you REALLY ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY know what you're doing in my experience. I know noone will agree with this statement, flame away....
muhhahahahahhahah....

OTS maps are generic...you may pop, etc...but you'll be popping much less than if you didn't have any pc3 at all.

save up money for a dyno tune, or if you know what you're doing, richen up the fuel mixtures yourself...just save a base map in case you screw something up. i wouldn't do the latter unless you KNOW what your doing...

to the OP...i would just load up different maps and see which one feels (butt dyno)/sounds the best (as far as popping). just use a pipe that somewhat matches the spec on the RS3
cant agree more, save ur money, if you ride all year get 2 tunes 1 for winter and 1 for summer. trust me it makes so much of a diff with a custom tune since each bike is diff

Old 04-15-2008, 10:15 PM

I agree 100%. PCIII, Slip on, air filter, dyno tune costs big money and gives you noise, and lower MPGin return. Even if you get 10HP with a full system, it costs about $120/HP and screws up your torque curve, that is really just a waste of money. These bikes ain't a 1970 Nova where a cam or a Holley would help, these are optimized, engineered systems from front to back. There is very little opportunities to make things better on these bikes without making HUGE changes.

Take that crap off and sell it on ebay. Let those clever little engineers at Honda do the thinking, you shouldjust enjoy the ride.

Yep engineers make it but its not perfect..If it was the pipes,filters and pcs wouldnt be there..It makes it BETTER than the engineers did.
I can take a stock car tune it and make it run 100% than it did stock..Because the engineers build a lot of tolerance into the tune and setup..THere is always room to make something better on ANYTHING..

My bike gets BETTER MPG than it did stock..I average 43mpg on a BAD day(running the mountain roads)..So just because someone installs a pc and has something bad to say about doesnt mean it doesnt work..

Old 04-15-2008, 10:24 PM

+1 on putting that crap on ebay ... put a bin price of 50 bucks, and as soon as you do let me know ...
'thanks.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:46 PM

PCIII are for suckers.
Look man if you want to keep your bike stock thats fine but insulting people who have a different opinionis BS. I rode my bike bone stock for 2 years and the throttle response was horrible and it drove me crazy from day one.Recently bought a PCIII(using a PCmap) and now itsMUCH better. Was it expensive? Kinda but guess what- bikes are an expensive hobby and you lose money every day. Was it worth it to me? Absolutely. Does that make me a sucker? F no.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 AM

ORIGINAL: rolandk

PCIII are for suckers.
Look man if you want to keep your bike stock thats fine but insulting people who have a different opinionis BS. I rode my bike bone stock for 2 years and the throttle response was horrible and it drove me crazy from day one.Recently bought a PCIII(using a PCmap) and now itsMUCH better. Was it expensive? Kinda but guess what- bikes are an expensive hobby and you lose money every day. Was it worth it to me? Absolutely. Does that make me a sucker? F no.
^+1^

The throttle response really improves and the on/off effect in very low rpm's is smoothed out a lot...

It IS expensive, but it's worth it. The people saying the PCIII is crap should try one on their bike, even with stock mappings the improvements are huge...

And it's not about my bike being wordt $5000 and less everyday, and that I want to make it faster... because if I would buy a new 600rr or 1000rr, I would also put a PC on it... just to make the bike better and get what I really paid for, not for a bike that has a lot of unused potential...

My English isn't very good so please correct me where I'm wrong

Old 04-16-2008, 12:56 AM

Wow, just wow. Ya'll must be getting your PC's at Harry Potter's Magic Tune. A newish rider on his first bike should not be led to believe that a Power Commander is an important mod. There are plenty of better ways to drop 3 bills, like better safety gear, a track day, suspension work, a safety class, new tires, even Angel Eyes or a slip on, at least people know you're sporting those. PC's break sometimes, and without a tune, you're apt to download some herky-jerky, back-firing, plug fouling abomination of a map. Or you can use your ***-dyno and burn 100 gallons of gas and a set of tires "maybe" getting a decent set-up thru trial and error.

There's some misperceptions about emissions testing here, the bikes are tested from low RPM to high RPM, the emissions are collected across the band. They are not tuned for a particular speed or RPM. Besides, I dont mind emissions laws, I like ozones, oxygen and the baby polar bears. In my state they are sometimes very serious about enforcing these laws and standard PC is already illegal.

I'm a medium fast track rider, I spent almost 4k on stuff before I bothered doing anything to change the power, a stock F4i has enough power to run a very few seconds off the 600 superstock record at any track. And where else beside the track is that 2HP increase you get with a slipon and a PC even relevant?

Disagree? Post up some dynos showing these magic maps that improve performance AND mileage. Are you a Miracle tuner? This aint a 350 Chevy. Cams, heads, cranks, velocity stacks, and other exotica are very hard or impossible to find. Most of us will be stuck with an air filter change, exhaust mods and maybe an ignition advancer. Then a Power commander starts to make sense.

New riders, "Power Commander" is an impressive sounding piece of equipment that provides barely perceptible improvements to a stock f4i. Mainly it allows you to reap the benefits of a $1000 exhaust modification.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:00 AM

Maybe you are right, $1000 to make an $5000 bike smoother. That does make alot of sense considering your bike is worth less and less everyday. That is like taking a girl out to dinner AFTER you bang her. If you have $1000 to spend to make something smooother not really faster, then god bless...you make your money easier than I do.

I'd rather keep my money for the next bike. PCIII are for suckers.
While I personally don't like them, I won't say they are for suckers, while I think they are a waste regardless some people know how to use them. I will say that probably 90% of people that own them have no idea how to use them and will at some point, run a risk of Fing up their bike.

Would I like my F4i to have 120+ rwhp? Sure! For me it's simply more logical to get a faster, more aggresively built bike. To each their own though.

Quick Reply: power commander and performance