F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Plastic Melted around Battery Terminal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Melted around Battery Terminal?

Hey all, recently I haven't had a whole lot of time to ride so the bike has been doing its fair share of sitting. I went on vacation and hadn't rode in maybe 2 weeks. When I got back bike was dead. So I went ahead and took off the seat and hooked it on the trickle charger. Let it charge for about 24hrs and she was good to go! Rode for a few days then the bike sat again for a bit and went to ride again and it was dead. This happened one or 2 other times, so tonight when it happened I disconnected the battery to hook it up to the charger with the loops instead of the clamps and noticed a little bit of the plastic was melted on the inside parts of one of the battery terminals and a very small burn mark on the nut. I guess my question is, is the battery no longer safe to use since some of the plastic melted? and what may have caused this? I need some help diagnosing this issue.... Don't really want my battery to catch fire and blow up under my @ss!!!Oh yeah... The battery also is only around 1 1/2 years old.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if the battery dies, or you charge it incorrectly, you can ruin it. I mean, not saying you did, it's just a possibility. But as for the melted plastic, I'd assume it was from the alligator clamps. I always use the loops with mine, and never have any issues.

Since you've been having charging issues, and now an issue with the plastic, I'd say new battery time. Bitch to the dealer or wherever you bought it from for a new one :P