F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Performance Speed Chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Performance Speed Chip

ORIGINAL: jjkukla

You're right, the risk is minimal - personally I'd rather spend $40 bucks on a couple beers and lap dances [:-]

Just pray that it doesn't affect the ECU permanently.
+1

Old 03-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: pochop7

ORIGINAL: hondapower

I know that I'm extremely new to this board, and haven't even purchased my first bike yet...but felt I can still contribute here quite a bit. I've been a honda-tech member for years now and have been wrenching on cars since I could drive, then got my assoc degree in autmotive tech. Long story short, I've seen these things in many sizes/shapes/names on ebay and honda-tech alike...they do work to an extent, but you can accomplish the same thing with no more than $1 and a trip to your local Radio Shack. Inside that black plastic case is just a pair of resistors, one a little bigger than the other. The **** is a simple selector to select which circuit your IAT sensor will travel on (small resis./big resis./straight thru). These resistors will alter the signal your ECU will get from the Intake Air Temperature sensor and make the bike think its getting colder, denser air...the ECU will compensate for this and add a little more fuel and advance the timing somewhat.

When its all said and done, if you feel comfortable paying $38 for a homemade "chip" that probably has about a 700% markup over the cost of manufacture then buy all means buy it...it will do exactly what its designed to do, trick your ECU. If you're like me however, I would simply lookup the voltage range for the IAT sensor on my bike and buy the correct size resistor from Radio Shack and solder that in-line in the IAT sensor wire with some heatshrink over it and accomplish the same task for about $1. If you're electronically inclined enough (in this case it REALLY wouldn't take much) you could even completely duplicate this product with Radio Shack parts for somewhere between $5-10 and maybe an hour of your time putting it together. Please don't think I'm bashing the seller or the original poster, I'm not at all...just providing some information that I hadn't seen posted yet...hope you guys take this info for what its worth

Oh yeah, I really like the forum and hopefully be picking up my 600 before too much longer. I hope to be around on this board for a while

thats really good info.. ok now lets say I did what you suggest and put the resistor inline from the sensor for good.....now if your tricking your bike into getting cooler/more dense air as you said.....would it damage the bike if it thought this all the time? I live in florida so summer times get pretty hot...what would be the result if its hot like that and the bike thinks its getting cooler air.....
Worst case scenario here is you'd experience a bit of detonation due to the advanced timing and not actually getting the air the engine wanted. Like I said though, finding a happy medium that the bike likes would be the trick to this...by that I mean finding a resistor of the right size to up your performance somewhat without going overboard and making the ECU think your running in arctic temperatures. I should have time later tonight to do some searching for info on the voltage range of these bikes' IAT...so I'll try and post back with some safe resistor part #'s or something.

You needn't worry about causing detrimental damage to the ECU or bike though as long as you make sure everything has a good connection and be sure to seal it with some heatshrink...at most this mod might boost performance enough that you could tell a difference, but it's definately not anywhere close to the tuneability of something like a flash programmer.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:02 PM

damn you either extremely smart, or i'm extremely stupid, im leaning towards the 1st one either way your my new best friend, LOL

Old 04-03-2007, 02:23 AM

All right, I bought one. We'll see...

I probably should have read hondapower's post first, though. Haha. Oh well. I talked to the seller, and he says most bikes see a gain in HP of between 5-7 HP.

Hondapower: I respect your knowledge, and I know that ANY electronic device is generally marked up several times its real value. But, the way I understand what you said is that I would have to buy different resistors and use trial and error to figure out which one works best -- sounds like a lot of work and a lot of time with not too much payoff. Yeah, I'll agree that $40 is way more than $1 or less for a couple of resistors, but its good that I won't have to figure out how and where to hook them up, and then spend the time recording and testing which works best. The seller had already figured that info out, and it seems relatively easy to hook up his product. So at least, even though I'm spending the extra cash, I'm not spending the extra time and labor trying to figure it all out.

Just a thought.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:19 PM

sweet a guinea pig, let us all know

Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: bufferedaspirin

All right, I bought one. We'll see...

I probably should have read hondapower's post first, though. Haha. Oh well. I talked to the seller, and he says most bikes see a gain in HP of between 5-7 HP.

Hondapower: I respect your knowledge, and I know that ANY electronic device is generally marked up several times its real value. But, the way I understand what you said is that I would have to buy different resistors and use trial and error to figure out which one works best -- sounds like a lot of work and a lot of time with not too much payoff. Yeah, I'll agree that $40 is way more than $1 or less for a couple of resistors, but its good that I won't have to figure out how and where to hook them up, and then spend the time recording and testing which works best. The seller had already figured that info out, and it seems relatively easy to hook up his product. So at least, even though I'm spending the extra cash, I'm not spending the extra time and labor trying to figure it all out.

Just a thought.
Heh, sorry I haven't replied with any new info yet...came down with REALLY bad strep throat the day after making that last post and have layed in bed pretty much every day since. That is actually good news that we'll have a tester for that product. Now if we can talk you into popping the case open and telling us the variety of resistors inside so everyone else can have the choice of buying one or doing it themselves that would be great. If you'll supply me with the right resistor #'s then I will do some photoshoping and do a pictoral how-to for those not wanting to spend the money.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 PM

o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0 hp for a few dollars and a little time is sounding good

Old 04-06-2007, 03:21 PM

ya let us know hondapower. 3-5 hp for a buck will give me just the edge to beat my friends f4i lol. we run exactly even now. well considering we both only have a slip on.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can hardly believe this thread is still going on.

Hondapower, what do you think the engine damage could be with 'a little detonation' from the R&D method you suggest?
Bufferedasprin, I hope you're able to get before/ after dyno runs.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

I can hardly believe this thread is still going on.

Hondapower, what do you think the engine damage could be with 'a little detonation' from the R&D method you suggest?
Bufferedasprin, I hope you're able to get before/ after dyno runs.
First I never suggested any R&D methods...installing different resistors without having any clue as to what you're doing is definately asking for trouble and a definate "worst case scenario". I simply mentioned that we would need to find the correct voltage range for the IAT and base resistor part #'s on that. Hopefully Asprin will let me know whats going on inside that box that he ordered so I can do a rundown of how safe it actually is compared to the voltage range of the IAT (which I still haven't found). Also I mentioned that detrimental damage to the ECU would be almost non-existant if an electronically-inclined person were to attempt this themselves, not that engine damage would not result from someone randomly soldering in resistors....

Hope that cleared anything up that you might have questioned. I don't mean to keep bumping this thread back up, but a few ppl were interested in this so I offered what I know on the subject...and until I can give difinitive answers then I'll continue to research this for the previously mentioned posters.

Thanks,

Jon

Quick Reply: Performance Speed Chip