F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Performance Speed Chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Performance Speed Chip

Talked to a couple other people -- they bought the chip for their friends. One has tried it, but hasn't given any feedback on it (negative or positive), and another is going to test it soon. I understand what you guys are saying about "making a quick buck" and that it would already be on the bike if it did something, but i'm open to trying it, expecially since the seller had almost 2000 positive feedback -- he couldn't stay in business very long if his product wasn't working, since so many people would probably give neg feedback.

I also read a review of it from eBay from a guy who installed one of the chips on his PT Cruiser. Says it helped him out. I'm gonna wait for the results from the dude who is going to test it soon. I might buy one and do a walkthrough of installing it.

Lastly, I asked the seller some questions. I'm waiting for his reply. Here they are if anyone is interested. I'm trying to narrow down or completely eliminate the risk of me wasting my cash.

Hey, I'm really interested in one of these for my 2002 CBR600F4i. I've got a few questions, though.

First, I gotta admit that this product sounds too good to be true -- but of course, if it were, you wouldn't be selling them very long, now, would you? So do you have any testimonials (besides the short sentences that are on your feedback) of how the product has worked for the people that have purchased one?

Also, I see that on your description, you say that 7-15 HP can be gained -- that's awesome! Now is that in general for any speed chip mod that someone might do on any vehicle? Or is that specific to this particular chip on an F4i?

Will having an aftermarket exhaust help signifigantly? Are there any other mods that I should do to really take advantage of the performance gain of your product?

Thanks so much for your replies. I'd love to buy one of these things, and if they really do what you say they do, then $38 shipped is a heck of a deal!

Old 03-30-2007, 03:56 PM

I'd just buy some cool decals - DynoJet, K&N, Yoshimura, Repsol, etc. - those are even cheaper and add just as much horsepower. Plus they make your bike look really cool too.

All kidding aside... it sounds like a scam to me. I understand wanting "cheap" horsepower, but without dyno charts and proven results I'd start banking those pennies for a PCIII. And it might take a while, I just put one on my bike after 4 years. Ya gotta crawl before ya walk right?

Old 03-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, but the risk is minimal.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:19 PM

You're right, the risk is minimal - personally I'd rather spend $40 bucks on a couple beers and lap dances [:-]

Just pray that it doesn't affect the ECU permanently.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:23 PM

The risk analysis just went up.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:27 PM

Cuz of the beers and lap dances!?!?!? Or the possibility of permanent modification to the ECU by an unproven product?

Old 03-30-2007, 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: jjkukla

You're right, the risk is minimal - personally I'd rather spend $40 bucks on a couple beers and lap dances [:-]

Just pray that it doesn't affect the ECU permanently.

$40 bux buy you beers and lap dances???? wow I gotta find out where you go, LOL.....Im still thinking about getting one but at the same time I want to know if you have a pcIII if it will benefit you or not, or if it's even recommended to put one on if you have a pcIII or plan on getting one.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:58 AM

ORIGINAL: jjkukla

Cuz of the beers and lap dances!?!?!? Or the possibility of permanent modification to the ECU by an unproven product?
I think that if the product damaged the ECU, modification would be an understatement.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:27 AM

I know that I'm extremely new to this board, and haven't even purchased my first bike yet...but felt I can still contribute here quite a bit. I've been a honda-tech member for years now and have been wrenching on cars since I could drive, then got my assoc degree in autmotive tech. Long story short, I've seen these things in many sizes/shapes/names on ebay and honda-tech alike...they do work to an extent, but you can accomplish the same thing with no more than $1 and a trip to your local Radio Shack. Inside that black plastic case is just a pair of resistors, one a little bigger than the other. The **** is a simple selector to select which circuit your IAT sensor will travel on (small resis./big resis./straight thru). These resistors will alter the signal your ECU will get from the Intake Air Temperature sensor and make the bike think its getting colder, denser air...the ECU will compensate for this and add a little more fuel and advance the timing somewhat.

When its all said and done, if you feel comfortable paying $38 for a homemade "chip" that probably has about a 700% markup over the cost of manufacture then buy all means buy it...it will do exactly what its designed to do, trick your ECU. If you're like me however, I would simply lookup the voltage range for the IAT sensor on my bike and buy the correct size resistor from Radio Shack and solder that in-line in the IAT sensor wire with some heatshrink over it and accomplish the same task for about $1. If you're electronically inclined enough (in this case it REALLY wouldn't take much) you could even completely duplicate this product with Radio Shack parts for somewhere between $5-10 and maybe an hour of your time putting it together. Please don't think I'm bashing the seller or the original poster, I'm not at all...just providing some information that I hadn't seen posted yet...hope you guys take this info for what its worth

Oh yeah, I really like the forum and hopefully be picking up my 600 before too much longer. I hope to be around on this board for a while

Old 03-31-2007, 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: hondapower

I know that I'm extremely new to this board, and haven't even purchased my first bike yet...but felt I can still contribute here quite a bit. I've been a honda-tech member for years now and have been wrenching on cars since I could drive, then got my assoc degree in autmotive tech. Long story short, I've seen these things in many sizes/shapes/names on ebay and honda-tech alike...they do work to an extent, but you can accomplish the same thing with no more than $1 and a trip to your local Radio Shack. Inside that black plastic case is just a pair of resistors, one a little bigger than the other. The **** is a simple selector to select which circuit your IAT sensor will travel on (small resis./big resis./straight thru). These resistors will alter the signal your ECU will get from the Intake Air Temperature sensor and make the bike think its getting colder, denser air...the ECU will compensate for this and add a little more fuel and advance the timing somewhat.

When its all said and done, if you feel comfortable paying $38 for a homemade "chip" that probably has about a 700% markup over the cost of manufacture then buy all means buy it...it will do exactly what its designed to do, trick your ECU. If you're like me however, I would simply lookup the voltage range for the IAT sensor on my bike and buy the correct size resistor from Radio Shack and solder that in-line in the IAT sensor wire with some heatshrink over it and accomplish the same task for about $1. If you're electronically inclined enough (in this case it REALLY wouldn't take much) you could even completely duplicate this product with Radio Shack parts for somewhere between $5-10 and maybe an hour of your time putting it together. Please don't think I'm bashing the seller or the original poster, I'm not at all...just providing some information that I hadn't seen posted yet...hope you guys take this info for what its worth

Oh yeah, I really like the forum and hopefully be picking up my 600 before too much longer. I hope to be around on this board for a while

thats really good info.. ok now lets say I did what you suggest and put the resistor inline from the sensor for good.....now if your tricking your bike into getting cooler/more dense air as you said.....would it damage the bike if it thought this all the time? I live in florida so summer times get pretty hot...what would be the result if its hot like that and the bike thinks its getting cooler air.....

Quick Reply: Performance Speed Chip