F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

PCIII...How does it work???

Old 06-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII...How does it work???

I checked their website and it seems they have the maps I need, but before committing $350 I need aquestion answered....

Exactly how does a PC work??

Does it integrate itself between the ECM (Car terminology) and the injectors, take the info output info from the ecm and modify that to send a different pulse width to the injectors??
If this is the case and all it does it increase pulse width to the injectors is there any issues with starting the engine or fouling of the plugs on colddays when the ECM is already trying to run rich to heat the engine??? I would also wonder how the PCIII knows RPMS?? The ECM wouldn't output that info since I assume there are no other modules that need that info???

Does it upload new software (maps) into the ECM and allow the ECM to do it's job??? If this is the case I could upload my maps and unhook the PCIII. The ECM would theoratically keep the info stored and do it's job even after the PC is unhooked..

Am I way off base?? Just curious how it actually tunes before committing. Tried searching....Thanks.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Default RE: PCIII...How does it work???

I would answer if I could but I'm curious about that as well!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:41 PM

ORIGINAL: CBRrider01

I checked their website and it seems they have the maps I need, but before committing $350 I need aquestion answered....

Exactly how does a PC work??

Does it integrate itself between the ECM (Car terminology) and the injectors, take the info output info from the ecm and modify that to send a different pulse width to the injectors??
If this is the case and all it does it increase pulse width to the injectors is there any issues with starting the engine or fouling of the plugs on colddays when the ECM is already trying to run rich to heat the engine??? I would also wonder how the PCIII knows RPMS?? The ECM wouldn't output that info since I assume there are no other modules that need that info???

Does it upload new software (maps) into the ECM and allow the ECM to do it's job??? If this is the case I could upload my maps and unhook the PCIII. The ECM would theoratically keep the info stored and do it's job even after the PC is unhooked..

Am I way off base?? Just curious how it actually tunes before committing. Tried searching....Thanks.
Get it on Ebay for $100.

It doesn't just increase injector times alone- it won't damage or foul plugs.

It doesn't modify the stock ECU in any way.

You are off base- it's only a piggyback unit.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide to get one (great choice) invest the extra money in a custom map. Your bike will thank you and you will thank you.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Retired Administrator

The PC III gives the end user a method of changing the fuel/air ratio.

I have one on my 05 600RR and I am using a downloaded map. I checked into having a custom one on a dyno and it'll cost you. I was quoted somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 to 4 hundred. By luck, I went to a bike week at a local drag strip and they had a dyno booth. Three pulls for $60 and the tuning is included. With the PC III, it's easy. All they have to do is connect a PC and press a few buttons. They didn't touch a thing because it was dead on.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:59 AM

Ok thanks...I'm really new at tuning a bike and I've done tons of searches, but it seems that there is limited information out there.

I've souped up plenty of cars in my day and being a mechanic understand 98% of the theory behind most mods...
Problem is I'mhaving a hard time trying to figure outhow much of this translates to motorcycles, so that I can research different mods and decide what I want to add rather than jumping on the bandwagon..I'm sort of tedious like that, and like to be original in my set-ups.

For example...Octane fuel..
On newer Coil over plug cars if you bump your timing electronically via the ECM/PCM with a reflash you can add a higher octane fuel and gain higher performance as long as you have the right compression, cams, aftermarket parts, etc.....
Does a motorcycle have a knock sensor?? Does it advance the timing to the point of knock then retard a few degrees repeating the cycle to acheive optimal timing?? When adding a higher octane fuel will the ECM automatically advance the timing a few degrees with a new map from a PCIII or do I have to do it mechanically?? Does it have a set timing for a certain RPM/load... How is this controlled???? Do our motorcycles have Map and MAF sensors?? How are A/F ratios measured? How does the engine know if it's running lean/rich while cruising?especially with out an 02? ETC, ETC.......I know alot of these questions won't be answered on the board, any good reads out there?