F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

paint question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mralbdamminc- ill prolly be doing it during my fall break for school i think thats like october something....did you paint your bike yourself? looks nice

Old 07-27-2010, 02:44 PM

ive talked to a few painters about painting bike on my own....they suggest me use a ?matte black clear coat? if i was to do this where and what brand? also...if i did that i still need to primer and then paint it and then the matte clear correct?

Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM

if you have never painted before, dont do it! theres not one professional painter on here that can say his job turned out well the first time he did it. now if your just wanting to start a project and want to deal with the headaches and redo's, then go for it. alot have good advice on here on what to use and not to use but if your wanting a professional job, take it to them. all these guys on here have just told you about the spraying of the plastics, nobody has said anything about when it all dries and cures out about wetsanding or "colorsanding". thats how you get your superior results and flawless finish. that in itself is a new monster that requires alot of time patience and most of all experience! good luck and if you do this on your own dont expect it to be "perfect" this go around

Old 07-27-2010, 03:00 PM

and dont trust everyone that says there "painters" because alot of guys that spray rattle cans says it turn out "good". get lots of advice from many people as there is no one perfect way to do it but preperation, kinds of paint, cure times"flash times" and technique has alot to do with the results

Old 07-28-2010, 08:41 PM

matte black clear coat? A matte finish is a dull finish so I'm not sure why you would want that unless you're going for a flat black look? Unless they're talking about a single stage paint? And yes... you still need to prime and base first then clear... again unless they're talking about a single stage paint, then it's just prime and then base/clear it.. because then it's the same application.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:03 AM

thats what i figured...you know, there have been some great ideas and options given to me, but some people really hate seeing other people try and be creative.

I really dont care if it is bad the first time. I will learn how to paint it, if i dont like it, then i have it done professionally.

So, thanks to all the other positive people.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rob02f4ikaos
matte black clear coat? A matte finish is a dull finish so I'm not sure why you would want that unless you're going for a flat black look? Unless they're talking about a single stage paint? And yes... you still need to prime and base first then clear... again unless they're talking about a single stage paint, then it's just prime and then base/clear it.. because then it's the same application.
huh ?????single stage is all in one .......you don't have to base/ clear it !

Old 07-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adamw89_2000
if you have never painted before, dont do it! theres not one professional painter on here that can say his job turned out well the first time he did it. now if your just wanting to start a project and want to deal with the headaches and redo's, then go for it. alot have good advice on here on what to use and not to use but if your wanting a professional job, take it to them. all these guys on here have just told you about the spraying of the plastics, nobody has said anything about when it all dries and cures out about wetsanding or "colorsanding". thats how you get your superior results and flawless finish. that in itself is a new monster that requires alot of time patience and most of all experience! good luck and if you do this on your own dont expect it to be "perfect" this go around
amen on the colorsanding ....i hate colorsanding and buffing

Old 07-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by new06f4iowner
thats what i figured...you know, there have been some great ideas and options given to me, but some people really hate seeing other people try and be creative.

I really dont care if it is bad the first time. I will learn how to paint it, if i dont like it, then i have it done professionally.

So, thanks to all the other positive people.
buddy i don't think we are trying to keep you from doing it we are trying to save you from what we have done before ...... if you wanna try it go for it ... i hope it works out for ya .......
and for a professionally they goofy up sometimes i know i was a painter for 9 years at a pro body shop ...... until i got unlucky and became a repo man
good luck

Old 07-31-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by hparker619
huh ?????single stage is all in one .......you don't have to base/ clear it !

No kidding... that's why I separated the words base and clear with a slash and not the word and... and then stated because it's the same application.

Quick Reply: paint question