F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

paint question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe -- not sure about gravity feed guns. I only use HVLP guns. It definitely depends on the type of gun you're using though.

New06 -- If you have an industrial size compressor, you should be good to go. Then it just depends on what type of gun you use, and what the clear calls for. Make sure when you buy the clear (if going the spray gun route) that you ask for the tech sheet for it. It will list the all the info you need to know... air pressure, flash time, cure time and how it should be applied. On the tech sheet it will probably give you a gun pressure and pressure at the cap reading. just worry about the gun pressure and set the pressure regulator on the gun accordingly.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:40 PM

well i am deff going to be using clear coat

Old 07-18-2010, 10:22 AM
June 2011 ROTM

I used to paint cars for a living.
Instead of using primer, wet sand your parts down with 400 grit. Then spray your parts down with a light coat of sealer. That way you wont have to sand it.

Spray your base coat between18-25psi. Spray your base coat in lite coats. Let each coat flash off before you spray your next one. Just keep spraying your base until its covered. It could take 2 coats or even 8 coats. It all depends on the color your using.

For your clear coat the way you spray it is a preference thing. I like my pressure to be up around 35 psi. It turns out alot slicker that way but you use up more clear. All you need is two medium wet coats. If you want a deeper look spray a third coat.

You are going to want to use an HVLP Gravity feed spray gun. Just buy a cheap gun with a 1.3mm size tip. A 1.4mm tip would be ok also. It will work just fine if your spraying a flat color without metallic. Most guns come with a regulator. Your going to want one for sure if your using a monster compressor.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:08 AM

im glad we convinced another one to stay away from spray paint :-).
Im actually using these guns from harbor freight..lol They work excellent!
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...kit-94572.html
I havent used the detail gun, but the main gun has a 1.8 tip for primer and a 1.4 tip for base and clear. I run it around 30-35 PSI and its great

Old 07-18-2010, 11:17 AM
June 2011 ROTM

I used to spray aerospace parts with those same guns. The 1.8 tip is MASSIVE. It was great for hammering on a quick coat of primer.
If you keep your pressure down a bit more on your base coat you can save on how much paint your using.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:22 PM

could i possibly get a good gun from home depot or lowes? or an auto shop?

Old 07-18-2010, 03:49 PM
June 2010 ROTM

i can help u out man, i'm right on the other side of monroe , pm me and we'll talk

Old 07-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to spray aerospace parts with those same guns. The 1.8 tip is MASSIVE. It was great for hammering on a quick coat of primer.
Yep, I have like 3 of those guns. They actually don't work too bad. 2 of them came with 3 different size tips and the 1.8 is strictly a "primer" tip.
I've seen the same exact guns at lowes/home depot/etc. for about 5X the price.
i can help u out man, i'm right on the other side of monroe , pm me and we'll talk
There ya go, dude. Rock on.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by new06f4iowner
Are you goint to be using a spray gun? I think i am going to just do it my can. Is there clear coat that is gas resistant in stores?
i was a painter at a body shop for 9 years before i got into repoing cars and i think you are about to do something you don't wanna do and thats make a big mess ......... find a school around you and take it them in the auto body class if you don't have the money to pay someone for a good paint job or email me if you want it done right

Last edited by hparker619; 07-18-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:02 PM
June 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by hparker619
i was a painter at a body shop for 9 years before i got into repoing cars and i think you are about to do something you don't wanna do and thats make a big mess ......... find a school around you and take it them in the auto body class if you don't have the money to pay someone for a good paint job or email me if you want it done right
I took auto body in high school. The waiting list to get things done in there is really long. Trust me when I say you would be better off going to maaco than to the kids in the school. I have seen some scary stuff lol

Quick Reply: paint question