F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Oil Change help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006 | 09:14 PM
|
Default RE: Oil Change help

Alright last question, since I have 4 qts of the GN4 stuff, I want to make sure that it IS ok to switch back to regular oil after using synthetic because I thought I heard you cant.

Old 12-18-2006 | 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: abadfish

Even the Honda's HP4 synthetic oil has molybdenum in it
WHAT!! No it doesn't. Where are you getting your info from?
Straight from the owners manual (and side of bottle) "Pro Honda GN4 or HP4 without molybdenum additives"
Again, from the owners manual:
"Do not use oils with graphite or molybdenum additives. They may adversely affect clutch operation"
Also:
"Do not use API SH or higher oils displaying a circular API energy conserving service label on the container. They may affect lubrication and clutch performance."

I don't see how much more obvious I can make it. In my original posts I said stay clear of moly and energy conserving. We agree on the energy conserving, which is great, but make sure you know what has and does not have moly in it and what it will do.

Old 12-18-2006 | 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: mferrari

Alright last question, since I have 4 qts of the GN4 stuff, I want to make sure that it IS ok to switch back to regular oil after using synthetic because I thought I heard you cant.
Yes, GN4 is good oil. Perfectly fine to switch back to non-syn.

Old 12-18-2006 | 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: abadfish

Are you serious???????? Generally speaking viscosities operate within a certain range. And many viscosities overlap, especially the mulit-viscosity oils. The bike is not designed to only efficiently handle a specified viscosity. That's a load of BS! Nobody designs an engine around a specific viscosity. A viscosity is chosen for the engine, not the other way around.
Again, yes, I am serious. You misunderstood what I said. I never said they design an engine around oil. So don't misconstrue what I posted. I'm in mechanical engineering, I ought to know a thing or two about tolerances. Yes, oils do overlap at a certain temp range, such as 10w-40 overlaps with 10w-30 at a specified temp range for any given engine with specific tolerances. The thicker the oil, the hotter it has to be to properly flow into bearings, journals, oil filter etc when a thinner oil will flow at the same at a thinner viscosity and cooler temp.
"The bike is not designed to only handle a specified viscosity" - Exactly, a suitable oil weight is choosen for the engine given it's operating temp and bearing to journal tolerances etc..to properly distribute oil flow to critical areas.

Old 12-19-2006 | 12:46 PM

dude...calm down...get the testing that was done comparing motorycle specific oils...there was very small traceable amounts of moly in it...

you can search yourself or i can search for you...but myhard work is to expand my knowledge from my inquisitive nature...not yours...so you'll need to do the work for yourself.

Old 12-20-2006 | 05:00 AM

Blah, blah, blah. Every forum has the same argument.

To answer your question, yes you can switch from synthetic to conventional. I am getting ready to go synthetic. Most likely with the Castrol Synthetic motorcycle oil, since I can get that through my distributor. I use the Castrol synthetic in my work truck since I have a lot of idle time.

Old 12-20-2006 | 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: jimd2p

Blah, blah, blah. Every forum has the same argument.
nope...scrap book forums do not have this argument.