F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

O2 sensor requirements

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009 | 04:46 PM

Look friend, you can justify it six ways from Sunday, but the fact of the matter is that if your bike is a Cali model, it's already complying with the emissions standards set forth by CARB for the year of its manufacture. If you want a more compliant bike, buy an '09, but they still don't have cats. Not only will your bike exhaust only sunshine and kittens, but it will also help the economy through your purchase. What, you don't think buying a new bike will save the economy? You think it's only a drop in the ocean compared to what we're up against? Well, now you know where I'm coming from when I say your intentions are valiant, but your actions are futile.

FWIW, if your bike isn't a Cali model, it doesn't have an O2 sensor, and adding one would require... well, a new ECU, a new harness, welding a bung to your exhaust for the O2 sensor, the sensor itself, plus whatever other sensors on the Cali/ non- Cali bikes that don't interchange. Go ahead and spend a grand or two on your cruisade.

Old 03-31-2009 | 06:57 PM
|

a grand? uh i dont care about the trees that much. i have a junk exhaust that has the CAT and O2 intact. I was reading on the firebird forums or somewhere, the guy mentions that his F4i ecm has options an O2 sensor, making me think that maybe all F4i ecm and its wiring harness had CA emission capibility.

i was only looking to spend a few bucks at the muffler shop and do the soldering myself. according to the manual, the only difference between CA f4i and the rest is just a CAT and O2. So i was hoping to make this a cheap project dedicated to my childhood hero Captain Planet.