F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New Info on the CCTL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Info on the CCTL?

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

3. **** with the busted motor from cam chain tensioner failure...so what is it? cct or cctl? 2 different parts mang...if your cctl was stuck, it should be in the extended position, thus giving tension against the cam chain...so it's doing its job...what else broke? is the cam chain busted? how do you know your cam chain didn't snap causing all this......where are the pix?

pull the heads off and check the cam chain with the cctl gone...notice that it's still fairly tight...you think it'll jump on you?
Good Day,
I'm assuming you are refering to me, so i'll attempt to answer your questions. How do you know the the cam chain tensioner will "stick" in the extended position?Cam chain is in perfect condition. No damage. I have the motor tore down rebuilding it. I would supply pics, but is that really gonna change anyone's mind? This thread went to hell in a handbasket fast. I have seen quite a few people that have a "stuck" cam chain tensioner that refuses to move. I'm having problem understanding your last statement though. Our bikes only have one head, and there would be nothing to check with it off. What's your point?

And my knowledge/experience is not coming from an "mechanic at a local shop" but rather from my own proceedings and tribulations. I have an old suzuki that was making the same noise as my f4 was before the motor went south. Luckily i replaced the suzuki's cam chain tensioner with an manual one, and the valve train noise immediately went away. It has been proven numerous times that a faulty cam chain tensioner will cause noise and/or wear & tear on the motor. In my case, it allowed the motor to get out of time.

I'm not trying to get a soapbox and preach, rather just counter some of the arguments on these forums. Take it easy

Old 03-11-2008, 02:53 PM

TBF;

I have to take my hat off to you. You've managed to turn "yet another CCT post" into a 3 pager!!!! My compliments, that's not easy to do. It's been interesting reading. My only suggestion would be to try and keep the posts a bit shorter for those of us with short attention spans.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:54 PM

Yes, a new thread of a couple pages of people arguing and insulting each other is really going to end this discussion for good. We should all bow down to TBF and his supreme omnipotence.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes...head...not HEADS...

so you're attributing your failure to a 'stuck' cctl as in it just wouldn't extend anymore, thus allowing to the chain to slap around and jump timing...

what if the cctl was extended to the max, but the chain was just so worn that regardless of how much tension from the cctl, it just wasn't enough?

you should probably check the cam chain to see if it's still within spec.

what i'm finding, what TBF is saying, what uncle buck found out, etc. is that the noise is NOT an indication of a 'failing' cctl, as in it's still performing it's function, to provide some tension on the cam chain...

what you're claiming is that the noise is related to a sooner or later 'failing' cctl. note how rare your case is...and i'm not denying it...

what we're claiming is that the noise and failure have no relation.

also consider...why didn't honda do a mass recall? because it wasn't safety related...something as serious as making the motor jump timing would definitely warrant a mandatory recall.

FYI...i'm like 4'8" tall and i weight 363 lbs, there's no soap box tall enough or big enough for me so i don't ever preach on a soap box.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

what if the cctl was extended to the max, but the chain was just so worn that regardless of how much tension from the cctl, it just wasn't enough?

you should probably check the cam chain to see if it's still within spec.

what i'm finding, what TBF is saying, what uncle buck found out, etc. is that the noise is NOT an indication of a 'failing' cctl, as in it's still performing it's function, to provide some tension on the cam chain...

what you're claiming is that the noise is related to a sooner or later 'failing' cctl. note how rare your case is...and i'm not denying it...

what we're claiming is that the noise and failure have no relation.

also consider...why didn't honda do a mass recall? because it wasn't safety related...something as serious as making the motor jump timing would definitely warrant a mandatory recall.
+1

Old 03-11-2008, 06:21 PM

in a nut shell i wish are bikes didnt have a damn cctl that we had to worry bout but o well just an excuse to work on ur bike and do more stuff to it.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: ffingers

i am not saying you are wrong, and i can understand your frustration...but you have to take things with a grain of salt from individual members....personally, i think you flew off the handle a little too quickly...

That is fair enough for me. And you are right, the frustration at all the misinformation is a building pet pieve of mine....and just for an FYI, I used CAPS and colors to highlight important words....it is not yelling but rather an easy way for people to seek out the important info in the post....that way if people don't want to read the whole post they don't need to for basic understanding....reading around the CAPS and Colored words will get them the gist of it.... hopefully ne way....

Like I said before it is up to the community to police itself and stop the spread of bad information....bad info going around the forum gets bogged down with it and then the forums rep suffers in the end....I have PMs and an e-mailfrom people saying they have had similar problems with this and other forums and just plain old left and stopped posting out of frustration....don't loose the guys that can bring knowledge to the table for all to use....

I would LOVE TO SEE people who are not newbies on this forum backing up the other experianced posters...even if it is just a +1 following their post to show aggreement....I do it, just to try and get the message across that whatever was posted, to me, was reliable info....

Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 PM

i guess this is just one of those situations where we all will have to agree to disagree.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:40 AM

(Like I said before it is up to the community to police itself and stop the spread of bad information...)

Who is to say it's bad information just because you don't agree with something does'nt make it wrong.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because it is....

learn to use the quote function.

Quick Reply: New Info on the CCTL?