F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New Info on the CCTL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Info on the CCTL?

ORIGINAL: TBFGhost

ORIGINAL: SchiraF4I

I'm pretty sure that says, because i don't feel like reading... Not because i don't want to be proven wrong. See what you made me do i quoted myself. Geez
??? What? I never said you where wrong....I said that the problem is people don't feel like reading on here, and the lazyness is what allows all these uninformed rumors to keep going around as if they where fact. Of all the people on this forum, very few people are stepping to the plate to actually figure out what is wrong.... You guys can do what you want, but stop spreading the misinformation that the CCTL has failed and the noise is the cam chain slapping around because that is just plain wrong. Untill someone gets me some photos showing damage to the head/block/cam chain from the chain slapping around and a picture showing the CCTL is jammed in position....

ORIGINAL: jdschmidt

[sm=rolleyes.gif] there is so many things going around about this, i dont know what to belive..i replaced mine with a APE MCCT and it works great now.. ive heard it needs to be fixed and it doesnt need to be fixed..but for 50 bucks it just wasnt a risk i was willing to take.
And there is nothing wrong with doing that. the APE MCCT should work just great for you as it operates the same exact was as the Honda CCTL except it is not automatic. The bolt use a "bolt" to set the lenght of the lifter/plunger, and they both do not allow the plunger/lifter to be moved back in. The only down fall to the APE MCCT is you MAY have to adjust it down the road.
Meh, it's cool... No hard feelings?! I just take everyone's information as dully noted and use my own experience.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:52 AM

i would read it, but someone here is talking to me constantly making it hard to read. That forum has a small font!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:33 PM

You guys can do what you want, but stop spreading the misinformation that the CCTL has failed and the noise is the cam chain slapping around because that is just plain wrong. Untill someone gets me some photos showing damage to the head/block/cam chain from the chain slapping around and a picture showing the CCTL is jammed in position....
Hello There.

Let me present this bit of information to you. My CCT failed just two weekends ago. It was when i was at a high rpm,right before redline. I suddenly let off the gas and all of a sudden the bike made a wierd nose and started ticking. This was caused by the cam chain going from very tight, to a "loose" cam chain with a wave thrown into it. The result of this was the cam being thrown out of time. This caused the piston to just slightly kiss an exhaust valve and boom, i now have a bent valve. I can produce pictures upon request. The motor is in my garage. The cam chain tensioner is stuck in position. I can not get it to retract nor extend for the life of me. I can show you a video of this if you'd like.

So before you preach on this subject, please know that you have been misinformed. I await your response

Old 03-09-2008, 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: brveagle

You guys can do what you want, but stop spreading the misinformation that the CCTL has failed and the noise is the cam chain slapping around because that is just plain wrong. Untill someone gets me some photos showing damage to the head/block/cam chain from the chain slapping around and a picture showing the CCTL is jammed in position....
Hello There.

Let me present this bit of information to you. My CCT failed just two weekends ago. It was when i was at a high rpm,right before redline. I suddenly let off the gas and all of a sudden the bike made a wierd nose and started ticking. This was caused by the cam chain going from very tight, to a "loose" cam chain with a wave thrown into it. The result of this was the cam being thrown out of time. This caused the piston to just slightly kiss an exhaust valve and boom, i now have a bent valve. I can produce pictures upon request. The motor is in my garage. The cam chain tensioner is stuck in position. I can not get it to retract nor extend for the life of me. I can show you a video of this if you'd like.

So before you preach on this subject, please know that you have been misinformed. I await your response
yes, this is what i have been hearing about, and this guy seems like he has some pretty decent proof, best just to get them repaired before you trash your engine.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:42 PM

wow ya ima go with tahoe on this one since he knows what hes talking about when it comes to this and truthfully i trust him more than what ur saying. if its not the cct then why have alot of peoples gone bad

Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 PM

****in pig's Don't you know they are never wrong!!

Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 PM

[sm=wtf.gif]

Old 03-09-2008, 11:48 PM

ORIGINAL: brveagle

Thank you for a very intelligent counter offer and I will take you up onthe photos of this, and if it is the case I am still willing to bet that you are an exception. Your argument presents new information and debate unlike the following which really does nothing....but to each their own...

ORIGINAL: jkh421

****in pig's Don't you know they are never wrong!!
[sm=lame.gif]

My solution may not becover 100% of CCTL problems but I amsure it will covermost.In which position is your cam chain tensioner stuck? If it is in the complete extended position, then your CCTL did it job just fine and was taking up slack in the chain. Your CCTL should not allow you to pushthe plungerback in, but rather want to extened to the fully open position as soon as it can as it is always exerting pressure outwards, unless something (IE the cam chain guide) keeps it from doing so. Sorry most of you are so "against" this "new" info and I am sorry that b/c I said in a very loud manner it upsets you, but to be honest, I really am not out here making up lies or unfounded facts b/c I heard this from so and so, this is 1st hand experiance backed up by others as well. I will firmly stand where I am on the statements I made both about the CCTL and some of the members of this community, and if you guys would look around you would see it too.

ORIGINAL: devlzluv
if its not the cct then why have alot of peoples gone bad
You question is vauge and not really sure what is asking or trying to get at.The CCTL does have a problem, it is why the noise occures. To my knowledge and all the reading and searching I have done on this topic on this forum, CBRWorld.net and google I have only read about one person's engine suffering major damage with the possibility of it being the CCTL's fault and that is only just now from what brveagle posted. I have yet to see or hear abouta "bad" Honda CCTL causes catastrophic engine failure.

You all really have a choice here, you can keep going about passing "knowledge" to each other that in many cases is not even backed up and false, or you can start to reseach problems and find solutions, real ones to them. Its you call, its your bike....its your money. If you don't like my thoughts then just leave it alone, or you can bring it down to a personal level and attack me, whatever allows you to sleep at night, because at the end of the night, this is just a internet forum, my bike is parked in the garage in good running order and so is all the friends and riding buddies.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Registered Users

TBF...i don't think i have ever read a post here from someone who knows about bikes saying that the rattling would cause engine failure...everyone here seems to agree its a "problem" with the OEM CCT and i have read posts on here about modding the tip to get rid of rattle....

2nd...you should really bite your tongue a bit....you made a blanket statement that people won't read the cbrworld.net article...i did before i went any further in this thread....also...it's not cool to SLAM the forum on another forum...that's real nice....yeah i read your last post...

3rd...why you are so pissed about this is beyond me....listen i bought the APE because it was easy for me...i don't have the tools or time to weld the tip of the OEM CCT...i live in a condo...it's much easier for me to spend the $60 and put in the APE and be done with it....if you are arguing over the reason...then fine...although i don't think many people disagree that the rattling won't destroy your engine and it's due to the rattling tip....but if you are arguing that everyone can just keep their OEM CCT, you might be right, but some of us would just rather pay for a new one instead of attempting to mod an OEM one...it's just a choice...

either way...calm down buddy....it's just a rattle!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 AM

I read that big article and I am not going to say that it is the perfect logic and his solution is perfect, but I would say that it is worth taking in consideration to further identify the true problem whether he is right or wrong. It is quite a theory with some good logic. Thanks for the link.

Quick Reply: New Info on the CCTL?