F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New Info on the CCTL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Info on the CCTL?

You question is vauge and not really sure what is asking or trying to get at.The CCTL does have a problem, it is why the noise occures. To my knowledge and all the reading and searching I have done on this topic on this forum, CBRWorld.net and google I have only read about one person's engine suffering major damage with the possibility of it being the CCTL's fault and that is only just now from what brveagle posted. I have yet to see or hear abouta "bad" Honda CCTL causes catastrophic engine failure.

You all really have a choice here, you can keep going about passing "knowledge" to each other that in many cases is not even backed up and false, or you can start to reseach problems and find solutions, real ones to them. Its you call, its your bike....its your money. If you don't like my thoughts then just leave it alone, or you can bring it down to a personal level and attack me, whatever allows you to sleep at night, because at the end of the night, this is just a internet forum, my bike is parked in the garage in good running order and so is all the friends and riding buddies.

< Message edited by TBFGhost -- 3/9/2008 10:14:30 PM >

like i said jackass i trust people more that i trust u or that guy that posted that on the other forum. ur *** should be banned for trashing this forum, this forum has been nothing but informative. and ur lil fix is still going thru miles, so even the poster wont know if it will work forever. so get ur **** strait before you start to tell people doing this which could cause more probs than fixing. lol and i wont pass this knowledge to anyone, your right it is my call and my money and my bike so i will choose what i want to do to it. bad call on your part for this i hope no one helps you on this forum. heres his post

I edited his post b/c I did not want to quote the whole thing, but I agree will all of it 100%. I just removed my CCTL last night, welded the tip and re-installed....NOISE GONE and it was horribly loud. I posted the info up n CBRForum.com witha link back to here directing them to Jeff's posts, but they were all too lazy to read the posts....stupid....the all still think the Honda CCTL is allowing the cam chain to slap around and that the Honda CCTL has a provision in it that allows it to back off and create slack on its own, which it does not, it only goes in one direction unless you use the "key" and turn it by hand.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

muhahahhaha...muahhahahah...muahahhaa...
this is what i'm getting from this thread...
1. tbf is a cop...(right or wrong)...
2. tbf says people should read more and not just believe everything they read...especially about the cctl...yet tbf never read tahoe's posts about cctl and the rattling from the pin and shaft? uncle buck proposed initially that tip theory, i found it true, but when the rattling came back...i was like WTF...turned out the base of the shaft also wears out. as for the spring, yes over time it will get weaker, but know what? everytime it feels slack in the cam chain...it'll extend a little more...always extending, never ever going backwards (unless it's busted somehow).
3. **** with the busted motor from cam chain tensioner failure...so what is it? cct or cctl? 2 different parts mang...if your cctl was stuck, it should be in the extended position, thus giving tension against the cam chain...so it's doing its job...what else broke? is the cam chain busted? how do you know your cam chain didn't snap causing all this......where are the pix?

pull the heads off and check the cam chain with the cctl gone...notice that it's still fairly tight...you think it'll jump on you?

Old 03-10-2008, 06:27 PM

There goes daddy tahoe making it right....

Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 PM

ORIGINAL: SchiraF4I

There goes daddy tahoe making it right....
muhahaha im glad he finally chimed in. thats what i was waiting for and like i said the other guy that did this just did it and hasnt gone more miles on his bike for it to come back. glad you saw this tahoe, still dont liek ghost bashing cbrforum (not cool)

Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

2. tbf says people should read more and not just believe everything they read...especially about the cctl...yet tbf never read tahoe's posts about cctl and the rattling from the pin and shaft? uncle buck proposed initially that tip theory, i found it true, but when the rattling came back...i was like WTF...turned out the base of the shaft also wears out. as for the spring, yes over time it will get weaker, but know what? everytime it feels slack in the cam chain...it'll extend a little more...always extending, never ever going backwards (unless it's busted somehow).

3. **** with the busted motor from cam chain tensioner failure...so what is it? cct or cctl? 2 different parts mang...if your cctl was stuck, it should be in the extended position, thus giving tension against the cam chain...so it's doing its job...what else broke? is the cam chain busted? how do you know your cam chain didn't snap causing all this......where are the pix?

pull the heads off and check the cam chain with the cctl gone...notice that it's still fairly tight...you think it'll jump on you?
The tip causes the rattling, it fixed my problem, and had members of this forum took the time to read the link I posted up instead of putting up a statment that says, hey I am too lazy to read this, tell me what it says so I don't have to do anything" they would have also read about the shaft possibly rattling, and in fact, I am not the one who is all pissed off and angry about this, it is the few members who decided to bring it down to a personal level, just attack me and don't add any information worth squat to this thread. I used colors and CAPS to draw attention to parts that where important. CCTL and CCT are not the same part, correct.CCTL is Honda's name for the partthatalot of people on here call the CCT. The CCT is actually that platic or whatever "guide" thatthe CCTL pushes on to exerttension on the chain.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...4-2001/o/m2050

(Hopefully that link works for you, go click on the Cam Chain - Tensioner)

I am not going to turn this into a pissing match where I can yell and scream and call names like some of the members of this forum....which only proves my personal thoughts about a part of the population on this forum even more. I don't claim to know it all, but when I see BS, I call BS....just like Uncle over on CBRWorld.net. I have seen posts where even some of your most highly reguarded members have....mis information, and they do have better knowledge on parts of the bike then I do, but even so, I saw BS and I called it. Tahoe, maybe I missed it, but why is this not stickied if you made a post about welding the CCTL?And why is is that when ever I see a post on the 5-6k noise, all that is ever said is, your CCTL failed, you chain is loose and slapping around in your motor.....? That is the answer that I am trying tocorrect here. Youand I do agree on how the CCTL works....so you know that failure toexert tension is really not the answer to this problem at all. And it seems Tahoe agrees with fact that the CCTL is more then likly not the cause of the motor failure mentioned previously, it could be, but I think the conclusion that it is the CCTL was jumped to without further exploration.

Also towhoever it was thatthought I was trying to say that MCCT are a bad thing, if you readmy post, you will see that I don't think that are bad thing, butjust anotherway torid yourself of the CCTL noise and thatthe other commonBS of the MCCT does not allow slack in the chain when needed is tottaly wrong and using a MCCTset with proper tension is just as good as the HONDA CCTL except you

Old 03-10-2008, 09:32 PM

TBF, we on the same team...i'm glad you caught on to the whole cctl and APE mishype.
i never stickied it because no matter what i would post about my findings after countless f4is, etc...no one would ever listen...so i just poke my head in once in a bit to throw some sarcastic comments....but i had to say something on this post because for ONCE...someone's got it right! you don't get this right without understanding the elements of it. since no one really cared for the cause but rather jump on the APE thing...i said forget it!

as for those who give you a hard time...don't worry about them...they can keep thinking whatever they think...waste their money, believe in BS with no explanation behind it, blah blah blah...

Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Registered Users

listen, i only chimed in because i have read Tahoe's CCTL post and i think a lot of others have too...you are never going to stop the masses from misunderstanding things....noobs are always going to come in and possibly say the wrong thing...

my only point of contention TBF was two things...

1) you assumed the forum as a whole was "ignorant" and/or "lazy" based on a couple posters...pssst...there are a lot more than just a few posters on this board...

2) you insulted the members of this board on another forum...once again lumping perhaps a few in with a larger community...

i am not saying you are wrong, and i can understand your frustration...but you have to take things with a grain of salt from individual members....personally, i think you flew off the handle a little too quickly...

gotta love tahoe...said his piece, chimes in here and there...done....bottom line....(and i have learned this the hard way around here, just ask)....trying to change and/or educate people is not easy, and unless they want to learn or listen they won't...insults, or pushing to learn or listen will never work...so you say your piece...and you move on...

listen, i have read other posts by you and have never found you edgy....but in this post, it seems you took it a little personal and what started as a basic information thread turned into a pissing match...you became a participant whether you liked it or not...

so everyone...let's hug, ride, and move on....nothing to see here!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:04 PM

Hey i just wanted things summed up for me. Why can't we all just get Along?!?!?!?!?!?111 Let's all settle on unwanted noise bad, purring of engine gooood..............

Old 03-11-2008, 02:49 AM

wow... just read this thread! where did we all go sour? *group hug* people... atleast you guys have a bike to work on!!! *tear*

Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 AM

ooday...i think you should leave...cause you have no bike...muahahahah...j/k...

whatever's the case DON'T LISTEN TO TBF, DON'T LISTEN TO ME...do your own research and make your own conclusions. i don't want to hear "because the mechanic at the local shop told me so and he's a professional"...

well ****E...defense attorneys have told people to go for a plea bargain...who were innocent....should they have listened? heck...an attorney is a pro right? mauahahhaa

Quick Reply: New Info on the CCTL?