F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New F4i feels dull and weak 2-5K rpms

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 PM
IDL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New F4i feels it's dull on power

Yeah at those RPM's it will be more of a cruiser, which is kinda nice when your feeling lazy and want to putter around.

Hard to say from your perspective though since you might not have gotten a good feel for what is normal before your accident.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:41 AM

Yeah 2k-5k the fuel curve drops in the motor and raises after around 5500k- 6000k....its apparently for emissions because that where the bike runs when crusing learned from just pickin the brains of some of mech guys at the dealership.....if you wanna get around that drop 1 tooth in the front +2 in the rear on the sprockets and the fuel curve changes, you'll get more torque to, down side is youll run higer in the rpms on the freeway... At 80 mph i sit at 7500k-8000k..if you go that route get a pc3 and get it dyno tuned...or just ride above 5k with out changing the gearing...

Old 08-23-2007, 05:41 AM

So I'm waiting for the Two Bros slipon. There's are no visable injuries to the headers and beyond . I'll change that, see what happends. If it's still sluggish , Dyno test, but I hope the new exhaust will resolve this matter.
BWF4i, with the PowerCommander do you experience definte improvement in the low-mid rpms ? Did the gas milage dramatically decrese , or, you can barely tell the diff .

Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 AM

One question, did you notice the loss of performance after the rear-ending incident? I noticed you wrote.... 'from that time'...My hunch is that air flow within the can may have been altered due to damaged seal/or baffles resulting in the power loss

Old 08-23-2007, 12:38 PM

ORIGINAL: philnyc

So I'm waiting for the Two Bros slipon. There's are no visable injuries to the headers and beyond . I'll change that, see what happends. If it's still sluggish , Dyno test, but I hope the new exhaust will resolve this matter.
BWF4i, with the PowerCommander do you experience definte improvement in the low-mid rpms ? Did the gas milage dramatically decrese , or, you can barely tell the diff .
All tho i havent got my bike dyno tuned..... i noticed that bike runs smoother, throttle response is smother in the low rpms. Its cool you can adjust maps your self and or use the recommended maps they have for what air/exhaust mods you have on the bike! I wouldnt say that yoll get any signicant hp gain. The only thing that sucks about the pc's is that they dont account for gearing changes but w/e! I gotta around that by tellin the pc3 i gotta full system arata exhaust as a temp fix and it runs better now! With the suggested map and my gearing change it seems that pc3 was starving the motor in the lower rpm range. As far as gas mileage i still get about 180mi a tank when not getting on her!

But deffinately worth it cuz when honda designed the FI system for the f4i there was something not going right i dont remember exactly what the issue was but they decided rather then to fix the problem they told the cpu to put more gas in the motor! And that full curve blows for the emissions....

But go the with the gearing change youll like it...its almost like its a new bike.... i went with a 520 conversion -1/+2 i know you can stay with a 525 and do the same......

hope that helps

Old 08-25-2007, 06:38 AM

One question, did you notice the loss of performance after the rear-ending incident? I noticed you wrote.... 'from that time'...My hunch is that air flow within the can may have been altered due to damaged seal/or baffles resulting in the power loss
orags: I can't be 100% positive . Here's the reason. I was still learning the bike and taking it easy on it due to break in period as well, but I have a feeling it had more power in the 3-6K rpm range. It was quicker to response upon the command of the right wrtist. Everytime I come back from a ride, just like I did just minutes ago, I'm depressed ! The 2bros slipon was just shipped and it won't be here till the end of the next week. I don't think it possible to hurt the engine due to faulty muffler. With your suggestiong of the air flow alteration I'm thinking that maybe the bike is just choking on the fumes right now. Not being able to exert the fumes fast enough ??? The mechanic and the apraiser from the insurance suggested the same ,while denying to pay me for the new headers. Yeah. What you guys think ? [sm=smiley34.gif]

Old 08-25-2007, 11:43 AM

2000 RPM's [sm=icon_beat.gif]Lot's of people have said it already. You won't find alot of power in the lower RPM's. Down shift to find the power you need.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:59 PM

Nevermind the 2000, I'm talking about 5-6-7 .

Old 08-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Banned

My buddy rides an Fz6 and he commented that my bike was slow until 8 or 9K. I think yours is normal, Unless your headers or pipesare kinked, they are fine. Go find another guy with the same bike and ask him to ride it.

Edit. If your pipes were kinked you would have no upper end either, too much exhaust volume. You may simply be getting used to the power it has and now you want more grunt. If the slip on make a noticable difference, the problem was probably in your head, not your bike.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:05 AM

I agree with Fish. Try out some other guys F4i and see if there's a difference. As for the two bros, you'd likely need to have it mapped to smooth our the power curve, again due to a different air flow regime.

Alsoyour bike ain't choking on no exhaust fumes. The flowrate/mixture settings will just not be optimal leading to lower performance, but not to cause any damage.