F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New F4i feels dull and weak 2-5K rpms

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New F4i feels dull and weak 2-5K rpms

Greetings.

I have the 06 F4i with about 500miles on the clock. I'm still "learning" the bike and ofcourse I rode it under 6K for the break in. At 300 miles it got rearended at the exhaust basicaly. Looks bent, but I don't see any fumes leaks from the headers or the midpipe. I disassembled the "slipon" to check it for damadge and than put it back on. Only seal inside was a bit worn out from the impact. So I put it back on, as I'm waiting for the parts to come in. From that time I feel that the bike is kinda weak and dull between 2000 - 5000 rpms. To accelarate harder I have to twist the throtle quarter open . I come from the 1994 ZX-6E Ninja, carbs and much more heavier bike and that thing moves with a small turn of the wrist.
Is there something wrong with the motorcycle except for the bent exhaust that is ? Should it be that way ? Maybe the F4i just sorta gentle n' stuff.... ?
I'm worried I messed something up with the bike. I'm seeing the Honda shop on wed.

Thank you for your helpful replys .

Philnyc

Old 08-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Default RE: New F4i feels it's dull on power

I would say there is something wrong with the bike after the hit. The F4i is not dull on power as long as your in the powerband rpm range and not lugging it as with most 600cc bikes.

I'm not sure what woul cause it if ONLY the exhaust was damaged unless you have a severe exhaust leak or a bent/restricted header and exhaust.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:45 PM

2000-5000 is not going to feel like being shot out of a cannon regardless. Torque is low in that range.Not a 2 stroke !

Old 08-21-2007, 02:15 PM

I'm thinking to myself : Is it the exhaust, was I breaking it in inproperly ? I mean according to these guys http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
I've done everything wrong. According to Honda Manual and Sales ppl I did everything right. I'm replacing the pipe with the two bros, I was thinking about the power commander , sprocket change, but I'm not sure it's worth doing anything , if there are much deeper problems . I hope I didn't weaken the engine when riding after the accident. I inspected the exhaust system for leaks, and found none.
Phil

Old 08-21-2007, 06:40 PM

You probably haven't put on enough miles to know what it should feel like.

Our bikesreally don't make much power at those revs. If you are an experienced rider, take it high up in the revs and see how it feels.
________
Handjob movie

Last edited by Rick619; 03-21-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:08 PM

2-5k? lol Isn't it at like 1200 on idle? Dude ride your bike 6-8k, closer to 8, if you want to have power all the time that will rip your face off. =) Or ride it at 4kish and get good gas mileage. heh

Mike

Old 08-21-2007, 10:40 PM

I can't say for sure if your bike is really damaged but I can tell you that I felt sort of the same way when I first got my f4i last summer. I had mostly ridden dirt bikes and my friends other sport bikes, ninjas, etc. After my initial excitement wore off and I got a bit more comfortable I was kind of dissapointed at the power of my bike and asked around I was told the same thing...the f4is really live around 8000 rpms. Keeping the rpms low is fine for gas mileage but if you want to feel your bike starting around 6000 is where it will begin to "rip your face off" I've read that the power commander will help to pull a bit more from the lower rpms, I ordered one but it hasn't come in yet so I will have to wait and see.

For what its worth.

matt

Old 08-22-2007, 12:03 AM

ride at 7k in 1st or 2nd.. then wack open the throttle.. you will have power! i ride from 6-8k rpm just cruising.. i like to have power avalible when i need it

Old 08-22-2007, 01:39 AM

I got it up between 6-10 a few times, no problems there, it's alive. But I just don't use 7-10 in the 35 mph speed limit city zone. Mattylp, please post back to this thread about the power commander if it improved things.
Based on maybe I'll get mine. I hope you don't work for them hehehe.

I'm off to the dealership in a few hours.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:57 PM

I don't even ride at 2-5k. You should be around 5k+
I normally ride around 6-7k when cruising and higher when trying to go fast

Quick Reply: New F4i feels dull and weak 2-5K rpms