F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

need some advice extreme noobie here

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice extreme noobie here

hello there everyone im brand new to the forum and new to street bikes also been looking like crazy around my area for a good deal on a f4i and thinking about pulling the trigger on this one i came across its a 2001 with minor scuffs and scratches and probably needs new tires so the seller says and the bearings in the steering head need replacing other then that its mechanicly sound with 36k on the odometer and wants 2200$ for it i already know im not going to pay that but my question is what to look for on these bikes to tell me if its worth it or not ie 36k is to high or not or anything else i should look for because im not trying to inherit someones problem any input on that would be great thanks

Old 03-05-2012, 04:31 AM

Check for leaking front forks/ rear shock. Chain/sprocket condition, damaged frame, cracks in frame, electrical modification. Check title/ all VIN #s, paperwork, registration.

and definitely take someone with more experience then you to see it.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 AM

Ask for any paperwork he has on the bike as far as maintenance. When was last oil change done? Has coolant been changed? Brake fluid been bleed out and changed? Have the valve clearences been checked and set?
How he answers should tell you if he gave a damn about the bike or just rode the snot out of it. Now it is a Honda so even if it's abused it can be serviced to prevent most major damage that he would of been on a path to cause but just factor in the cost of doing all those services that where never done.
If your even slightly handy with a wrench you can get a book for your bike and do them all yourself.
It sounds like a good deal but look for major issues. Smoke in the exhaust. White or blue is bad. Ticking in the engine, knocking in the engine. Also make sure you run it through all the gears. Never know if youve got a bent shift fork or something if you don't.
Sorry that's kind of rambling. I was just typing as things came to me.
Good luck with the bike. Post up some pics if ya get it!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Best advice I can give to you since you don't have the experience to inspect a used bike, is to have the seller meet you at a factory Honda shop to have a *pre-purchase inspection* done. The shop will tell you exactly what the bike needs/doesn't need & what, if anything, is wrong w/ it. You'll pay for it, about $85, but that's very little to have peace of mind in what you're buying. If the seller objects, then you know something is prob wrong. The pre-purchase inspection helps him as much as it does you, & since you're paying for it, there shouldn't be any objection.

Good luck.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:23 PM

thanks fellas im going to look at it tomorrow with my buddy who has been riding for the past couple of seasons and hopefullly ill be bringing home a 2001 f4i