Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extreme painting

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extreme painting

So I decided I want my D&D muffler and pipe, gas cap, and stator cover to be black and will be taking my bike apart tomorrow. I know for sure that I will be getting the muffler, pipe, and stator cover sandblasted, but I'm questioning whether or not I can paint the gas cap. Do I need to just buy a black gas cap or is it possible to paint it? My plan for the pipe and muffler is to paint them myself using high temp header paint after they're sandblasted. I was also going to have the stator cover powder coated, but I'm questioning whether it's worth it or not because I could just paint it myself...but I kind of like the idea of powder coating because the glossy finish would match the left cowl.

what do you guys think?

Old 09-19-2008, 02:24 AM
Default RE: extreme painting

IMO, since you are taking everything apart anyway just powdercoat everything. Nice finish, more durable than paint. For the gas cap, there's the latch, hinge and keyhole to worry about. I would just buy aftermarket. Might save you some problems.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:37 AM

the guy at the powder coat place told me you can't powder coat an exhaust because it gets too hot...

Old 09-19-2008, 05:49 AM
June 2009 ROTM

Yeah the exhaust will definitely need a high temp paint or tape. They have that black tape for exhausts, not sure how clean it would look though but it a removable option. I had a bad experience with high temp paint melting once so make sure its good stuff and test it somehow first before ruining a nice exhaust system.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:49 PM

This is a bit off topic but are there any heat resistant decals that can be used on an exhaust? Or is that not really an option.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:06 AM
June 2009 ROTM

Yes there are heat resistant foil decals specifically designed for m/c cans. Check ebay or sites that sell bike customization stuff.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:00 AM

Well I know you have to be careful to cure the paint and follow all the directions. Should I paint the pipe and slip on? This paint is good for up to 2000 degrees so I think we're solid, and I'm getting it sandblasted first.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:13 AM
June 2009 ROTM

I wouldn't paint the pipe, and I would still test the paint on an old can or something. You don't want to go ruining a D&D full system. By the way what bike is it? Can you post any current pics? Might help with the questions.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:18 PM

CBR600F4. Well it's in pieces so I can't take pictures and I don't think I have any pictures of it with a full side view. The paint will definitely hold up, the whole system gets no where near 2000 degrees and I really hate chrome with a passion so I would rather just paint it. If the paint fails I can always just have it rechromed right? sandblasting shouldn't change anything...

Old 01-06-2009, 05:52 PM

i used VHTs High temp header paint and it's held up quite well,which it's only been on there for a year....i done my can and header

Quick Reply: extreme painting