F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

A n00b with another jacket ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:15 PM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only site I know off the top of my head is www.newenough.com. But it's not hard to find retailers, just search around.

Oh, and about "leather I can afford", what would you rather do - spend some cash on a nice jacket, or get skin grafts?

Old 02-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by barryf1fan
That was funny... thanks for the chuckle. And you may be right.

where are these closeouts? I have been to Cycle Gear a couple times (way more than that) and the prices are always the same. And I would like to buy locally so I can try it on - do you have any links to online stuff, if it came to that.

I would prefer leather but I have read a few tests, and unless your buying the thick race grade leather - the textile stuff holds up just as well, and sometimes better than the leather I could afford. 'Course, it's just a test, but that is what I'm looking at.

Thanks all for the comments.
most of the leather riding jackets you see are thick enough if not the same thickness as the race stuff or thicker. The leather the pros use is kangaroo n thinner than the cow hide we wear on the streets

I got both of my leather jackets for about $150ea and my pants for $179. My boots were $275 and most of my gloves were about $75 - $100 a pair, think one pair was $30 cuz I liked em n they were on sale lol.

if you like ebay theres always deals to be found on there on used n new jackets.

Good textile is ok, but stay away from mesh, well unless you like having melted plastic dug out of roadrash that is

Old 02-12-2010, 08:26 PM

check out www.leatherup.com
I have the armored leather jacket and it rocks big time, really well made -

Old 02-13-2010, 12:05 AM

I've bought stuff on close-out at Newenough, they've got the JR Honda CBR jacket on now for $159; I have it in red, and it cost way more than that at the time I bought it. Trick on the close-out stuff is finding size and color. I've been happy with quality of the JR jackets and with NewEnough.

NewEnough link

Last edited by randyjoy; 02-13-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:16 AM
July 2010 ROTM

i have a textile jacket that i got as a gift, my buddy wore it to test ride a bike and of course, the only time hes ever had it on and he laid the bike over he wasnt even going fast and it rash up the textile, but it did protect him the jacket now looks terrible-but i guess they are meant to be a one time use thing or something-when i go to get another jacket it will be leather

Old 02-13-2010, 10:37 AM

Hell yeah, thanks for the info and "testimonials"!! Really appreciate it, guys.

I went by Cycle Gear and the guy in there basically echoed everything that you guys have been saying. And the textile type jackets, he said, are what he likes to call one-n-done jackets. Whether you fall over going 10mph or 100mph, you just never know the protection until you do your own test.

Looks like I'm gonna go with the JR Honda Leather jacket from newenough.

Thanks again! [I knew there was a reason I joined this site. ]

Old 02-13-2010, 05:46 PM

Ive had a mesh jacket once when I bought my first bike, didn't know the difference. I took it back a week later and went with leather. I wont go back. The textile and mesh jackets dont protect you nearly as well, very breezy, and the pads slide around alot.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by barryf1fan
I would prefer leather but I have read a few tests, and unless your buying the thick race grade leather - the textile stuff holds up just as well, and sometimes better than the leather I could afford. 'Course, it's just a test, but that is what I'm looking at.

Thanks all for the comments.
I would never skimp on something like a jacket. When I go down, I want to be as protected as physically possible. I was going to get a cheaper textile jacket, but I decided when it comes to protection I want the best I can get...so I saved a bit more, doesn't hurt seeing as how it's too cold to ride now anyways