F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

A n00b with another jacket ?

  #1  
Old 02-11-2010, 03:19 PM
barryf1fan's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 73
Talking A n00b with another jacket ?

I am in the process of getting the bike back to good... and in the meantime trying to find gear for when it's ready.

I came across this jacket locally and he's asking $100, probably be able to get it for a little less. Joe Rocket Big Bang jacket.
1st, is this a good jacket?
2nd, is this a reasonable price?
 
  #2  
Old 02-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 517
Default

Honestly, when it comes to gear I would never buy used. That's just me though.
 
  #3  
Old 02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
barryf1fan's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 73
Default

Originally Posted by teko1020 View Post
Honestly, when it comes to gear I would never buy used. That's just me though.
Well, is this a good jacket - new?
 
  #4  
Old 02-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 517
Default

I wouldnt buy it. It says it has shoulder and elbow protection, but what about the back?
 
  #5  
Old 02-11-2010, 03:50 PM
barryf1fan's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 73
Default

It has back protection... but you have to buy the hard piece sep. - another $80.
 
  #6  
Old 02-11-2010, 05:57 PM
July 2010 ROTM
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,150
Default

it was 150 and he wants 100 for it, id say hes asking too much you can get a good jacket new for 150 with all protection.
but also, id never wear someone elses gear-call me a girl but it just feels gross, i cant do it for some reason
 
  #7  
Old 02-11-2010, 06:04 PM
July 2010 ROTM
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,150
Default

sry bout the dbl post my comp went crazy
 

Last edited by vangill; 02-11-2010 at 06:22 PM.
  #8  
Old 02-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Aken's Avatar
July 2008 ROTM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 3,002
Default

It's a basic textile jacket. Don't skimp on protecting your body - get yourself a decent leather jacket. You can find closeout deals on discontinued models for great prices.
 
  #9  
Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 PM
bigboi18184's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Shreveport , Louisiana
Posts: 397
Default

I have the rocket lucky textile jacket, it looks to be about the same material as this one. Mine seems to be very durable and comes with the back protection. Havent been down in it yet so i cant say whether it will hold up if it happens but feels like it would. Is warm enough for 30F and take the liners out for warm weather i've ridden in 90F with it.
 
  #10  
Old 02-12-2010, 08:24 AM
barryf1fan's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 73
Default

Originally Posted by vangill View Post
call me a girl but it just feels gross, i cant do it for some reason
That was funny... thanks for the chuckle. And you may be right.

Originally Posted by Aken View Post
It's a basic textile jacket. Don't skimp on protecting your body - get yourself a decent leather jacket. You can find closeout deals on discontinued models for great prices.
where are these closeouts? I have been to Cycle Gear a couple times (way more than that) and the prices are always the same. And I would like to buy locally so I can try it on - do you have any links to online stuff, if it came to that.

Originally Posted by bigboi18184 View Post
I have the rocket lucky textile jacket, it looks to be about the same material as this one. Mine seems to be very durable and comes with the back protection. Havent been down in it yet so i cant say whether it will hold up if it happens but feels like it would. Is warm enough for 30F and take the liners out for warm weather i've ridden in 90F with it.
I would prefer leather but I have read a few tests, and unless your buying the thick race grade leather - the textile stuff holds up just as well, and sometimes better than the leather I could afford. 'Course, it's just a test, but that is what I'm looking at.

Thanks all for the comments.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A n00b with another jacket ?


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.