F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My first real day on the street - put a 100 miles on her - have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first real day on the street - put a 100 miles on her - have a few questions

Hey guise,

So I put about 100 miles on my bike today and I am LOVIN it! I am a first time rider and if you have seen my posts over the past few months then you know that I took a beginners class to get my endorsement and then practiced in private lots for a few months. Yesterday was my first time on the road and right away, from the first pull out onto the street, my confidence was peaking and I found myself banging through the gears like I had done it a million times! Its funny bc I pulled out onto a 45mph street and as Im smooth shifting up to 2 then 3 and my speed is climbing I see a car fast approaching and Im like F this throw me into the fire why dont cha and bam I grew a sack and started twisting the wrist and the rest is history. I went and got my emissions done and that was the day, maybe 30 miles on the bike.

So today in Scottsdale it was about 110 out but I couldn't resist after getting the bug the day before. I took a 50 mile trip down around camelback mountain to a buddys house for a bbq and pool party. I can say, after 2 days on the road, I feel 97% comfortable with the bike and Im ready for a long life ahead with her

I have a few questions. The only discomfort I was really having was that the gas tank gets rather hot (from engine heat and the sun) and it gets quite uncomfortable on my thighs and knees (yes I ride in shorts, you come to arizona in the summer and ride with jeans and see how long until you pull over) I really like the look of black stomp grips. I was thinking of ordering the ones that are not precut but rather a sheet..then cut my own design. Think this will help with the surface heat? Second thing I noticed was at only 7700 miles, my 01 DEFINITELY has the CCTL rattle bad. Its just annoying. I guess I will have to swap it out with a new one when I get the chance (I think Ill go OEM rather than a manual APE). These bikes sure do make a lot of noise. Even over my bootleg, which is loud, I hear lots of rattling. I think besides the CCTL that my V shaped plastic behind the front wheel is missing some screws and is making a chattering noise at certain rpms. Third thing I noticed is that my gear box is very clunky. I read the early years, esp. 01's, are just clunky by nature so Im hoping others with 01's can verify this. My last question is regarding downshifting. I can upshift pretty quick and effecient but being a noob to bikes, my downshifting concept is still in practice. From a stoplight, I can upshift 1-2-3-4-5-6 and be cruising in 6th even at 50mph rather smoothly...now I KNOW how to downshift and I do it regularly, but when I do downshift, am I correct in saying that it is just a quick pull of the clutch lever just as for upshifting? Meaning, do I just pull the clutch lever quickly while smacking down rather than holding longer than a quick pull? If I am cruising along at 50mph in lets say 6th and I come to a red light that I must stop rather quickly, I usually just pull the brake and depress the clutch lever all the way and downshift 5 times all the way into first (which first always clunks into unlike other gears) so essentially I am just braking quickly and holding the clutch while I smack down all the way to first and come to a stop RATHER than pulling the clutch and going down gear by gear. Is this ideal? Now when I come to an expected stop (as in I see the stoplight far ahead) Is it better to pull the clutch each time and go down gear by gear? Or just pull the brake and pull the clutch and go all the way down to first (or 2nd or whatever gear thats suitable) without going through each gear? Sorry If I explained it wrong, I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the process in which I downshift.

Also, when I purchased the bike it had been sitting for quite some time. I changed the oil and filter, bled and refilled both front and back brakes and the only thing I hadnt done was flushed and refilled the coolant (Im gonna do 100% distilled water and a little bit of water wetter when I do as I live in a hot climate) Since the bike is 9 years old, I figure it cant hurt to get that coolant out of there even though its doing its job. The cooling system works well currently though, Cruising Im at 190 and stop and go 215-225 as the fan comes on at 220. Today it got up to 229 but thats the hottest i've ever seen it. After moving and with airflow, it goes back down to 200-205. So Im happy with the cooling system but do you guys think that after 9 years and lots of sitting regardless if it is doing its job maybe I should flush it and go to 100% distilled? May run a tad cooler?

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 07-25-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike runs at 175-180 typically when cruising. Only seen it get to 220's but that was a hot day in traffic for a long time. I would change the fluids. This way you know everything is fresh and it helps the bike.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 PM

i feel ya on the tank getting too hot for the thighs. i'd like to know if tank pads help with this also.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:50 PM

at 50mph im probably in 3rd, the stator doesnt really start charging till 5k so you dont wanna always lug the engine, and on the street i can usually just use downshifts to slow myself down. But if you are in 6th at 50mph you can easily click it down 2 gears real fast, no need to go gear by gear unless your running high rpms

Old 07-26-2010, 12:03 AM

I always thought downshifting was sequential. clutch in, downshift, ease clutch out so it grabs and engine brake, then repeat. jamming it all the way to first from cruising speed is fine but you'll be at like 10k+ revs at 50mph no?
i actually engine brake more than i use the actual brakes. always in the proper gear at the proper speed just in case that light turns green. maybe i'm just lazy and don't wanna put my feet down.
and in regards to tank grips. they're made for gripping the tank at speed through turns. i know for sure that it's not made for heat dissipation. and i want to say that i've heard some people say that stompgrips can wear away leather over time. sooo probably wouldn't recommend it against your thighs or knees, being that you're wearing shorts.
and btw, jeans won't be so bad. if it's too hot, then don't ride.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by heyitsmelam
I always thought downshifting was sequential. clutch in, downshift, ease clutch out so it grabs and engine brake, then repeat. jamming it all the way to first from cruising speed is fine but you'll be at like 10k+ revs at 50mph no?
i actually engine brake more than i use the actual brakes. always in the proper gear at the proper speed just in case that light turns green. maybe i'm just lazy and don't wanna put my feet down.
and in regards to tank grips. they're made for gripping the tank at speed through turns. i know for sure that it's not made for heat dissipation. and i want to say that i've heard some people say that stompgrips can wear away leather over time. sooo probably wouldn't recommend it against your thighs or knees, being that you're wearing shorts.
Thanks. I figured since the stompgrips are rubber/plastic that it would be better than hot metal though eh? At 50 mph, I am usually in 5th or even 6th around 4500-5500rpm cruising for gas mileage and letting the engine not work so hard when its not needed. I can always downshift to 4rth or even 3rd if I need the power but 5th/6th seems fine (and this I where I am confused on whether to pull the clutch in, smack down 1 or 2 gears then let go real quick rather than feather the clutch back out. If Im going 50mph and I want to downshift should I just pull the clutch in smack down then let go just like a quick upshift or feather it??) As for stopping rather quickly, I have been pulling the brake and clutch (so the plates are spinning like in neutral) and then just smacking down to first if it is to a stop, and 2nd/3rd if the light turns. Seeing that the rpms are only at 5k and dropping I assume this is ok to do?

Btw- If anybody has a pic of their F4i (preferably black/red) with black stompgrips please post them here! Also, I have been undecided on whether to either A.) Simply take of the white CBR stickers on the front cowel and leave the red paint or B.) overlay the white CBR stickers with black ones. If anyone has a picture of black CBR overlays on their front cowel then please post em up ; )

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 07-26-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heyitsmelam
There were times I've gotten home, changed clothes and climbed on the bike to move it. The heat was worse without pants to provide some insulation. Stomp grips won't do anything for the heat.

6th gear is kinda tall for 50 mph. I'm usually in 2nd or 3rd at that speed.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:42 AM

easing the clutch out, feathering, same thing. don't let it out like an upshift. if you do, you feel the bike jerk and that's just upsetting it.

also...try to give a little throttle right before easing out the clutch during downshifts. should match the engine speed and make it smoother

Old 07-26-2010, 12:55 AM

Thanks guys. I will work on my downshifting and easing the clutch back out while giving throttle to match rpm/road speed. Kuroshio, 2nd at 50mph?? Just cruising your running 10k rpm on the street? Even 3rd seems like the wrong gear at 50mph..unless yer getting on it.

Ya I have decided against the stompgrip...I really want to buy the tech spec gripster skin panel found here.
http://www.techspec-usa.com/overview.html (scroll down)

It comes in a sheet and you cut to shape. Looks like a camo skate board deck tape material. I was thinking of making an overlay for my black tank wings with this material...but not if it is like deck tape...that stuff is like sandpaper..anyone have any experience with tech spec gripster skin or tech spec high fushion (scroll down in link)

Old 07-26-2010, 01:00 AM

You should try tech spec. I just got the tank pads for my RR and they're great. They match up really well with my pearl white rr. I hear they're much better with shorts too. From what I read in other forums, tech spec is good enough for track(stomps have a little more grip), but perfect for street and those who really must ride with shorts. Stomp grips are known to ruin leathers/jeans over time too from what I read. Their website has plenty of pictures too.

Quick Reply: My first real day on the street - put a 100 miles on her - have a few questions