F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My F4i is so frustrating

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM
October 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A new main harness from the stealership is $250. I just bought a new front harness for $40. Should be in next weekend. Hope to install it next friday or so. I'm praying that will fix my issue.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:39 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

I dont see why it wouldn't man.... next thing ide check though it it doesnt is ur grounds... good luck...

Old 04-24-2010, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by R Dub
I even put a slight twist in all the prongs to make sure there was a tight connection and use a ton of dielectric grease and it still pull these shenanigans.
Puttting a ton of dielectric grease will only increase the prorblem. It is supposed to be used lightly to help keep condensation and water out, but globbing a bunch in there will only block electrical current to pass through the connection.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by LoneWolf04
Puttting a ton of dielectric grease will only increase the prorblem. It is supposed to be used lightly to help keep condensation and water out, but globbing a bunch in there will only block electrical current to pass through the connection.
+1

Old 04-24-2010, 09:10 AM
October 2011 ROTM

by a ton I mean I have taken that connection apart a lot and always made sure it had grease on it. I didn't just gob it on.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:32 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Update here. A new front harness did not fix my issue. I was riding home from work yesterday when all of the sudden loss of power and nothing. Thank God I was in a subdivision so I pull over and wiggling the main harness around and i heard the pump prime and it fired up. I was thinking thank God other wise I had no idea how I was going to get home. I pull into my driveway, flip the kickstand down and go to jump off. I felt the kickstand grab and then give way and BAM the bike falls on the ground. Now I am freaking out cause it is a brand new paint job. Pick the bike up and searched to see what kind of damaged just happened and all I can say is sliders are a must on all bikes. The slider hit the ground but not a scratch on the bike. Fire the bike back up and start messing with the harness and if you move it the wrong way it will die and move it the right way fires right back up. I guess my next step is to try to isolate what wire is bad, cut it out of the harness and splice it together. If I can't isolate it I will have to be a new main harness and that is going to suck installing it. I'll keep you all updated. Stupid bike not working when its riding season

Old 05-29-2010, 01:56 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by R Dub
I'll keep you all updated. Stupid bike not working when its riding season
now u know my pain for the past two seasons lol

Old 06-01-2010, 08:41 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Update: Took the front fairing off and starting messing around with the headlight harness. What I noticed is when I would tug on it the connector would come apart ever so lightly and the bike would die. When I pushed the connector back together the pump would prime and fire right up. So I am 80% sure that I found my problem (and I am only 80% because this bike makes me nervous that it will just die again out of nowhere). I zip tied the connector together and took it out for a spin and all seems well. I am really hoping it stays that way and the bike becomes reliable.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Question

this sounds like a possible issue i'm having with my bike not starting...to the original poster...when your FI wasn't priming...did you notice a lack of headlights and your high beam indicator lit??

Old 07-16-2010, 11:39 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Xander F4i
this sounds like a possible issue i'm having with my bike not starting...to the original poster...when your FI wasn't priming...did you notice a lack of headlights and your high beam indicator lit??
That would be correct

Quick Reply: My F4i is so frustrating