F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My F4i is so frustrating

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 AM
October 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My F4i is so frustrating

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my bike, when it works. I bought the bike last year and a month after I bought it died 2 blocks away from my house for no reason. Pushed it back home and couldn't figure it out for a week. Started playing with the kill switch wiring and it fired right up so I thought that was bad so I bought a new one.Worked for another 2 months until my brother was on it riding it home and it died on him out of no where. Had to leave it in a parking lot over night until I could get the ramp and straps to load it in my truck. Couldn't figure it out for 2 weeks. After doing some research on the great forum found out it was the famous front harness by the left intake. Played with all the prongs in that connection (the front harness and the main harness) has it worked great ever since so I am thinking awesome she's all good to go until last night i go to fire her up and nothing from the fuel pump. I am like you have got to be kidding me!!!!! Play with the front harness connection and it fires right up. After that I wiggled the heck out of it trying to get the bike to act up and of course it would not. I know it is something with that connection I just don't know if the front harness is bad or the main harness or both and I don't feel like dropping $300 if I am not positive it will fix my issue and I am scared to ride the bike because it is not reliable. I don't want to be stranded on the side of the road. Just had to vent. Sorry for the long rant.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go see a professional if you don't want to be stranded. If you don't know how to use a voltmeter, get it tested by someone who knows how. For $300 you can replace that worry!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:45 AM

mine did that to me when i replaced the farings. and then acted up again cause all i did was "play" with the connection. then i pulled the pins one by one and respread the connections to make em tight and havent had a prob since.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:49 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I even put a slight twist in all the prongs to make sure there was a tight connection and use a ton of dielectric grease and it still pull these shenanigans.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:53 AM

did you notice if any of the prongs had black marks on them? you could have a short some where and when it arcs it arcs in the connector also making it lose connection untill you move it. i've seen it happen before but its VERY rare that it happens without blowing a fuse. OR maybe something in that front end has to high of a draw and it getting one of those pins hot and loosing connection that way. just a few ideas for ya.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:02 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I have checked all the prongs and none of them have burnt marks on them so that is a good sign. I am thinking about buying a new front harness for $40 and see if that does it cause the previous owner really hacked into it when he wired aftermarket signals up.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 AM
July 2010 ROTM

have u bypased you bas yet? try that, it might just be going out

Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I did that the 1st time the bike died thinking that might help it and it didn't. I don't think it is that BAS cause if i just move the harness a little bit it fires right up. I actually think it is the ground wire but I can't tell what harness is bad. I hate electrical problems!

Old 04-23-2010, 12:23 PM

i kinda had a similar problem when i first got mine. i ended up taking the wiring harness off the bike completely and going thru it.. i found a spot up near the neck for the frame that was worn and rubbing on the frame causing a short.. fixed it taped it up and haven't had a problem since..

Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

dude idk why ur payin 300 for a new harness.... i got a front and rear wiring harness off the bay with relays and all for like 50 bucks... fixed my wiring issues...

but i went through and ran all new wires off them just to make sure...

Quick Reply: My F4i is so frustrating