F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My 01' F4i is needing some help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 01' F4i is needing some help!

My 01 cbr 9500 miles, regular maintenance has just recently been doing some strange stuff.
The bike starts great everytime, and idles great, but once i get her on the road is when all the fun happens. Ill be accelerating and the engine will pull or i guess sputter? when your riding it feels like the engine is pulling me pack, trying to slow down, speed up, slow down.. ill be going like 30 increasing to 40 but as i turn the throttle, i dont go any faster, the engine pulls and slows down a little, then all the sudden itl shoot me to 50. Then my PGM-FI malfuntion light will come on along with the FI light. and my engine will shut off, but my gauges still illuminate and the lights are still on, im assuming this eliminates it being a stator/battery problem. So i have to put it in neutral shut it off then back on and its okay, then itll do it again. Anyone ever had this happen to them???? i checked the battery and wires are good, idk where else to check, and im about ready to take it to the dealer to get it fixed, but i dont feel like paying the high price if i can fix it myself.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

THanks
Ride safe!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 PM

The only time I ran into the same problem with the engine sputtering, slowing then shooting up is the one time I ran out of gas. This one time my reserve lights didnt work correct and it started to do this for about 15 minutes before i ran out of gas. I was getting pissed as I was riding cause I thought something major was wrong. Rolled into the gas station, filled it up, and never had the problem again. This might not be the case with yours but something to check if you haven't already. Hopefully its something this simple for you!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is one of your fuel lines kinked? Got any rust in the tank? clogged injectors maybe. Bad FPR maybe. Fouled plugs? When it dies, does the cluster reset itself (do the same thing it does when you turn the key) If so, I'd check for a bad electrical connection some where. good luck.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:44 AM

Simple fix. Tighten the connections to your battery.
/thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 PM

sounds like bad fuel/contaminated fuel...try putting stabil....fill it up with good fresh gas from a reputable gas station.....aside from that....could be the fuel pressure regulator....read on, there are alot of articles regarding fpr....but i would try fresh gas first...good luck and let us know

Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 PM

well...could be the fuel however the FI light would not come...I don't think so anyways...check under the gas tank to see if all your lines are connected or no kinked. I did however have bad fuel and it did all kinds of bad things. I had to drain the tank completly last month and it fixed the problem...I had no FI light so i am not sure if that is what it is...Another thing like the other guy said...it could be a bad ground or your positive having corrosion on it...Make sure you ground wire is not cracked or has corrosion on it...Hope this helps...take care and good luck...!

Last edited by andymp3; 05-19-2009 at 12:33 AM.