F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Most protective frame sliders?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most protective frame sliders?

I know it sounds silly, but are there frame sliders that protect better than others? I'm sure the mounting location has something to do with protection. I just picked up some gear to protect myself at the track and now I need something to protect my bike!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most of your 2pc (base/puck) set work better. Heard stories about 1pc pucks breaking.

As long as you get a reputable name (Vortex, Woodcraft, etc) they all should protect as well as the next. Stay away from no-cuts!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:23 AM

There's only one mounting location on the F4i for sliders and thats at the motor-mount bolt holes, unless you go with no-cut sliders which are garbage.

The next step up would be "race rails" or a stunt cage but I dont know how that would fly with track officials.

Race Railz with lots of pics
http://www.powersstuntworx.com/railz.html

This thread seems to have some good info on them
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...t=44010&page=1

Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Wants a CBR
I know it sounds silly, but are there frame sliders that protect better than others? I'm sure the mounting location has something to do with protection. I just picked up some gear to protect myself at the track and now I need something to protect my bike!
Ditto on the no-cuts. Not much strength.

Can't say the Shoguns are all that good. I went down at the track--slow to moderate speed--and it still trashed the fairing bad enough to break it. Another 1/2 inch of length might have helped. Or the two-piece, two-profile design.

Bottom line: sliders may provide *some* protection, but don't be surprised if it's less than you think.

I've pretty much decided to stop crashing...

Old 03-10-2010, 09:49 AM

Have to keep in mind sliders are designed to protect the frame not the fairing.They just seem to do a descent job of it sometimes.

cages arent good for track use really.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Berto

Thats the best fix, lol...

Old 03-10-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Berto
Ditto on the no-cuts. Not much strength.

Can't say the Shoguns are all that good. I went down at the track--slow to moderate speed--and it still trashed the fairing bad enough to break it. Another 1/2 inch of length might have helped. Or the two-piece, two-profile design.

Bottom line: sliders may provide *some* protection, but don't be surprised if it's less than you think.

Well... They are called frame sliders and not fairing sliders. They aren't meant to protect the plastics.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:47 AM

i been through a few different sliders over my time riding. honestly woodcrafts are probably the best cause there length is shorter. believe it or not the longer sliders always get caught and snap off, or hook and cause the bike to flip. no sliders are gonna save your fairings, they just reduce impact to the frame(sometimes.... i seen where they push in the frame and damage the motor). so its a gamble really if you have a low speed lowside then there good if its a high speed anything else then your SOL

Old 03-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie

The frame sliders on an F4/F4i dont protect the fairing completely....their primary job is to protect the frame...hence the name.
Most frame sliders look the same and do the same amount of protection
Should look something like this

Name:  IMG_0031.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  67.6 KB

Old 03-10-2010, 12:46 PM

From everything I've read Vortex are the best...but I know little. I went down last week at a slow speed and it kept my fairings from getting too scratched up (although they still got ****ed a little)

Quick Reply: Most protective frame sliders?