F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Mirror Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror Vibration

I did a search and didn't come with anything too helpful.

I bought my '04 F4i two years ago. I have always had enough vibration so that the stock mirrors are nearly useless. At freeway speeds (most of my riding) I can get the impression of a car behind me but can't see it clearly. Is it a cop? Is it a riding lawnmower? I can't tell!

I don't have any friends who ride other sport bikes so I'll ask the forum. Is this a problem that others have as well?

Old 04-13-2009, 12:59 AM

Have You Tried Tightening Them One Of Mine Was Like That But It Was Just Loose

Old 04-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too think I have this same problem. My stock mirrors didn't vibrate much at all, but my new Carbon Fiber mirrors vibrate a lot. I don't know if it has something to do the tightness of the bolts (being too loose or too tight) or if because they are heavier, but I do want to know why they vibrate.

Anyone with any thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Default mirrors

Over the winter my bike fell over in the trailer.This spring when I took it out for the first time the right mirror vibrates like crazy same deal I have no clue who's behind me.The left ones good.I took the mirror off the bike an notice that the weight thats attached inside the mirror is now detached.That is the only cause aside from tighting that I can think of that would make it vibrate to the point of not being able to make out images.You can shake the mirror and you will hear it rattling around in there.Or if its both mirrors and everything is tight and weights are in place maybe the problem is somewhere else in the bike, the list can go on and on about what can make a bike vibrate.Are they stock mirrors?Do you have a fairing stay?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one thing I can suggest, as a self proclaimed retrofitter, that you find a very thin door seal, maybe 1/8" or so. Then just take off the mirror, and put the seal in between the mirror and bike. It should just reduce vibrations, not perfect it. But who knows. It's what I'd do. And make sure to buy a waterproof kind, other wise it will rot on on your bike. Gross.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing, cant see what type of car is behind me. stock mirrors too.
They are already pretty tight. any looser and they fold down at high speeds.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 PM

Sorry, I've been away for a bit.

In response to many.....

I have stock mirrors and they are tight.
What is a fairing stay? I can't find a reference to it in my service manual.
Weights are in place.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 PM

Cushion Washers......I was looking in my service manual and saw that between the screws holding the mirrors on and the upper fairing there are supposed to be "cushion washers". Mine doesn't have any. I'll have to go down the the Honda dealer and see if I can get some. I wonder if they will make a difference.

Unfortunately, the bike is being painted and it will be a while until I can test it. I'll let everyone know what the outcome is. In the meantime, check your "cushion washers"!