F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Master Cylinder Upgrade — I know, I know…

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Master Cylinder Upgrade — I know, I know…

So I recently picked up an 05 F4i dirt cheap. It didn’t run but it turns out it was just a bad battery that couldn’t handle a load hooked up the jump box, hit the button and it fired right up. SCORE! I went around the block real quick and the lever feel is a little spongy.

The bike sat for a couple years so a fluid change is in order. I would also like to put stainless braided lines on and figured now would be the time to upgrade the master.

I’ve read a bunch and the recommendations are all over the place? What seems to be the best budge option? The bike currently has aftermarket levers and I would love to be able to reuse the brake lever if I can so they match. Year/make/model for master would be appreciated. Does the 929 master accept the same lever? What year 929? Or maybe there is a better option.

Also I see the vesrah pads are talked about. Do we have a part number for front and rear?

note: I did search but a lot of the info is old and doesn’t give much detail. I would be here for a year if I read through every post online continuing “master cylinder”

Old 03-27-2022, 09:02 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm not sure you'll gain anythign by 'upgrading' the maser cylinder. I would say get new pads if the current are worn and do the new lines. Bleed it really well, which shouldn't take but maybe a full small bottle, and they should feel like new.

Use something to suck as much of the old fluid out before disconnecting the lines though so you don't drip on the paint.

The following 2 users liked this post by Scott91370:
Al1040 (03-28-2022), IDoDirt (03-27-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 05:03 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

If I was dead set on upgrading I'd go simple and grab one from a 07+ 600RR. That being said, I don't feel the need for an upgraded master.
I do have steel lines. And for pads I'd go vesrah XX's [thats what I run on the 1k] if you don't like the oem pads. On the F4i I think the oem's are great though. I've come to like a little more initial grab from riding the 1k, but the oem pads are super progressive and controllable which I love.