F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

lowering link = shock hitting swingarm (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering link = shock hitting swingarm (pics)

while waiting on advice for my fuel injectors (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/another-f4i-starting-issue-maybe-fuel-problem-115571/), i had free time to work on a smaller project for my bike. i bought this link thinking it'd be adjustable, but at it's shortest setting it still causes the bike to sit too low. with that said, it cannot be lengthened or adjusted in any way what so ever because the bike cannot go any lower than it is right now. i was hoping to drop the bike two inches, but this is the only setting i can get it in at (before shelling out another $80 for another link). yes i've searched the forums for "lower" and i've seen only seen one instance of someone who shaved their shock. no, i'm not asking "if i should lower my bike," i'm wondering:

1. can i shave the swingarm probably 1/8 inch instead of the shock?
2. or can i adjust the shock somehow so that it compresses more when i sit on the bike (the shock does not hit the swingarm when i sit on the bike by about 1/8 inch, but i know the bumps on the road will cause the shock to hit still).

i'm 5'3" 120lb and live in san francisco, so i really want to lower the bike for all these hills here. no i will not be stunting and no i will not be going to the track. i don't expect to flatfoot when sitting on the bike, but i at least want the ***** of both feet to comfortably touch the ground (i would leave it as it is right now if the shock weren't the swingarm). i just want to get this bike as my daily driver for street riding so please no criticism regarding lowering my bike.

this is a soupy's lowering link

Last edited by 415f4i; 08-28-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:24 AM

no one in this forum has ever experienced this problem?

Old 09-02-2010, 03:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

raise it up some!!!

Old 09-02-2010, 05:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my F4i was lowered, it hit hard parts with the tail and shock all the time. I raised it back to stock height. My hugger has marks on it, and so does my swing arm. Meh.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Syphen
When my F4i was lowered, it hit hard parts with the tail and shock all the time. I raised it back to stock height. My hugger has marks on it, and so does my swing arm. Meh.
i didn't know our tires were capable of hitting the swingarm?

Old 10-08-2010, 03:23 AM

problem solved. i forgot about this post, but i figured that if i found the solution it might help anyone else who might come across the same problem in the future. i had one of the adjustable bolts cut so that i could remove one of the lock nuts and screwed both bolts into the hex body all the way to create a shorter link. i have just about 2-3mm clearance between the shock and the swingarm, but i can also remove the other lock nut to raise the bike another 3mm or so if i wanted to. i hope this helps someone out in the future because sometimes you have to figure out things for yourself, but it really helps to have some kind of advice.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Smile

hey im new to this posting thing but i have a honda cbr 600 f4 and im lowering it when my link comes my ? is how did u cut the adjustable bolts just because i dont wanna have the same problems my friend is going to put the link on for me so the more info i gather then i wont have to worry.... i have another ? nothing to do with the lowering link when i bought my bike it had a toggle switch for my rad fan my bike is starting to bogg out when im at a stop light could this have anything to do with my spark plugs i havent changed them and im not sure if the guy who had it before me changed them and he wont answer any emails..