F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

another f4i starting issue. maybe fuel problem?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another f4i starting issue. maybe fuel problem?

recently got an 06 f4i with 4.6k for $3k flat. thought it was a good deal because i thought all i had to do was replace the battery because it wasn't turning over, but i guess now the time i'm spending is going to make up the difference of the price i could have paid for a running f4i. i bought it from a college student who didn't seem to ride hard, but he let it sit for about 10 months. I've spent a great deal of time researching all across the web for people who've had similar problems (probably more than i should have now that school's in session) because the last thing i need is to be welcomed to this new forum with people getting on me for not taking the time to google 'f4i starting problem' or 'fpr' in the forums(which i've already done). i've already:

1. got a new battery and left it on the tender for a full charge
2. checked the plugs and cleaned them (were a little rich, but not too bad)
3. siphoned tank and poured a bottle of stp injector cleaner in (no rust in tank at all)
4. fuel pump primes when trying to start (whines when turning the key and pumps gas to the fuel rail too- this was a good learning experience due to no fuel cutoff valve for the f4i, lol)
5. checked the fpr, and it should be good because it's not wet when starting
6. starts for about 5 seconds only when a good amount of starter fluid is sprayed into the intake. disconnected the power commander
7. air filter is clean

i don't think i brain-farted a noob mistake (kill switch is off, battery terminals correct, fuses all intact), but we're all human. i'm thinking of changing the oil or doing the hydro locked procedure (remove plugs, roll in second, and crank starter to remove oil that may be flooding engine?). i don't think the problem would be electrical because the previous owner didn't do any modding to the bike (other than the pc III & yoshi pipe professionally installed through a shop) and the bike starting only with starter fluid leads me to suspect a fuel injection problem somewhere, but i wouldn't know because i've been riding a carburated ninja for the last 3 years, lol. i REALLY don't want to take it to the shop so any advice will greatly be appreciated. god bless!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like it could be your injectors. I mean, I'm not a fuel expert, but I'm learning a lot repairing mine. It sounds like you're covered everything else. And hey, worst case you take it to someone who WILL know what's wrong, and you shell out for a working bike ya know?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:20 AM

thanks for the input. i was just reading a how to for syncing injectors earlier in my quest for any relative info i can gather in order to solve this debacle i'm in. any knowledge is good knowledge and i look forward to learn a lot about my new bike, but the issue at hand is like a thorn in my side because i know i can only get closer to diagnose the problem through the process of elimination by troubleshooting. i guess now all i can do is take another step forward and research the injectors. i'm still open to any advice anyone has to offer that may be relevant to getting this baby going. again, thanks for the guidance.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:27 AM

couldn't sleep because this problem is turning to an obsession. completely removed airbox to take a look at the injectors. was reading another old post saying that the only way to test injectors is to remove them and start bike to see if a fine mist sprays out... two questions:
1. can i attempt this with airbox off with the injectors still installed because i know my bike won't turn over anyways? (or will the lack of vacuum cause my injectors to not operate properly?
or
2. do i need to remove injectors and fully install the airbox (with all vacuum lines attached and such to ensure the lines get enough vacuum/suction or whatever that crap does) and then try this?

i don't see the reasoning to the 2nd option because i already know the bike won't fire without the source of fuel available unless the airbox connections really matter. just my common logic, but i may be wrong.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:31 PM

any answers out there? seems like pretty straightforward questions... i've done some research and it seems like the biggest problem is debris getting into the engine, but i'm i'll be in my garage and starting to a quick second just to see if the injectors spray. i just don't want to attempt this with possible damage to the bike without getting some advice first, because i'm only going off my own intuition of how things work but want to make sure i'm correct. any tips or cautions before attempting this?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 PM

okay i settled for option #1 and it looks like my injectors may be clogged. i know my fuel pump is priming to the rail so putting 2 and 2 together i'm also considering it may be the rail itself because i'm thinking "how can all 4 injectors be clogged at the same time?" any advice is greatly appreciated because right now i guess i'm learning this fuel system first-hand and i don't want to eff it up because i know human error is a fact of life... i've also searched the forums and read all six(6) pages of "fuel injectors" with no answers to how to clean them or remove them. it looks like the 3 green screws connected to the fuel rail, but i guess i'll find out this weekend when i have more time to look at the bike.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by 415f4i
couldn't sleep because this problem is turning to an obsession. completely removed airbox to take a look at the injectors. was reading another old post saying that the only way to test injectors is to remove them and start bike to see if a fine mist sprays out... two questions:
1. can i attempt this with airbox off with the injectors still installed because i know my bike won't turn over anyways? (or will the lack of vacuum cause my injectors to not operate properly?
or
2. do i need to remove injectors and fully install the airbox (with all vacuum lines attached and such to ensure the lines get enough vacuum/suction or whatever that crap does) and then try this?

i don't see the reasoning to the 2nd option because i already know the bike won't fire without the source of fuel available unless the airbox connections really matter. just my common logic, but i may be wrong.
Your not trying to start the bike you need to pull the injectors off the motor with the fuel rail stell on them and turn the motot over a few time while you watch them. (with airbox off) Vacume dose not come into play because injectors work off preture. Have you checked the preture at the fuel rail?

Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 PM

no i have not checked pressure from the fuel rail other than checking if the injectors were spraying a fine mist (they didn't) when pressing the start button. i only checked pressure from the fuel pump to the fuel rail (yes, the pump sprayed a good amount of gas when whining). the fuel from the rails should come from the pump, to the injectors, and any excess pressure should be relieved by the FPR correct? if this is the case then i figure i should check the return line from the FPR to the tank when the fuel pump is priming to see if there is a clog in the fuel rail correct? thanks again for the input man.

Last edited by 415f4i; 08-24-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-25-2010, 05:14 AM

Trouble shooting from the manual:
Fueltroubleshooting.jpg?t=1282731243

Old 08-26-2010, 03:06 AM

just checked the fuel rail by disconnecting the return hose from the fpr and turning the key. fuel pump is priming fuel right through the rail so i know there are no clogs so the only next step are the injectors.... clogged fuel injector filters or or sticking fuel injector needles? i highly doubt this can be the case for all four... (i didn't even know the the injectors had filters, lol). something doesn't seem right, but i guess after this last step i'm stumped. something doesn't seem right......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: another f4i starting issue. maybe fuel problem?